Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Forrest
September 21st, 2004, 09:24 PM
Who has the Star Wars DVD Boxed set?

I DO!!!

It just came out today in the US and it was the best $40 I ever spent. Tons of special features, documentaries and a SPINE TINGLING preview of Episode III!

I'm in heaven. :p

Eventine
September 21st, 2004, 10:04 PM
Does it have the modified version where Greedo shoots first?

Shehzad
September 21st, 2004, 10:46 PM
It's been shipped from Amazon.com and should be arriving in 1-2 days.

Eventine: yes and no. It's modified, but apparently Solo and Greedo now shoot simultaneously. More details when I get to see it.

Eldanuumea
September 22nd, 2004, 05:42 AM
I picked it up for y oldest daughter last night, but didn't think to check if it was widescreen.....got the full screen version, and now she's all disgusted with me. :( :eek:

Kanin
September 22nd, 2004, 07:16 AM
Elda,

I can't believe you picked up 'foolscreen'!! You're daughter has every right to be disgusted with you. You should remedy this immediately.

I plan on picking this up on Saturday. Can't wait to see the movies again with the awesome sound that DVD offers. Empire of Dreams looks really good too!

Eldanuumea
September 22nd, 2004, 11:40 AM
***hangs head in abject humiliation***

Kanin
September 22nd, 2004, 06:11 PM
Elda,

If you buy me a widescreen copy, you can redeem yourself.

You mentioned that you picked it up for your daugter. Are you a fan?

Shehzad
September 22nd, 2004, 07:39 PM
Still not here. Package tracking indicates maybe tomorrow.

I guess I'll continue watching Jeremiah for now.

Eldanuumea
September 23rd, 2004, 12:37 PM
Elda,

If you buy me a widescreen copy, you can redeem yourself.

You mentioned that you picked it up for your daugter. Are you a fan?

I am most definitely a fan. And she was able to exchange it for the widescreen format, thank goodness.
I am p-o'd, though.......I don't like some of the changes. I thought the old music for the dancing girls at Jabba's place was cool, but they've replaced it for some reason. And although I like the ending vistas of the cities all over, celebrating, I miss the Ewoks' cute little celebration song.

I still am undecided about whether I like the use of a younger Anakin in the closing vision of the three Jedi masters. Seems funny to have the old Obi-Wan and a young Vader/Anakin.

One revelation that my daughter pointed out to me last night - guess I'm dense, but it never occurred to me that Star Wars is first and foremost the story of Anakin Skywalker, his downfall and redemption. Now that I see that, watching the old ones has a new piquancy.

Evil Agent
September 23rd, 2004, 07:43 PM
These 'special' editions are the only ones Lucas will ever allow to be sold. The old ones, if you have them on VHS, are now a rare item!

As far as the Greedo thing, that might be true that they shoot simultaneously. I had HEARD that this was one scene they had put back to the ORIGINAL state, since it was such a stupid terrible change. What would be cool about Greedo shooting first? SO dumb!

I agree that the changing of the song in Jabba's palace, and the removal of the Ewok's song at the end, are TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE crimes!

But what's this about the young Anakin at the end????? <GOING TO POP DVD IN RIGHT NOW AND SEE THIS FOR MYSELF>, do you mean it's Hayden Christensen as Anakin at the end? I don't think I like that idea, it was cool to see the older actor without Vader make up and stuff... Oh well, I've long since learned to just let Lucas do whatever he wants, even though I rarely agree with it. :mad:

//<five minutes later> okay, it's true, it is a young Hayden Christensen at the end! I don't think I like this.. doesn't make sense! Why would he suddenly look young, and Obi Wan still old? Unless it's because Anakin's 'soul' appears as it was before he was turned to the dark side.. but still, it just feels like one more 'sacred' piece of film that Lucas has taken away, and I will always picture that shot of the older Anakin, smiling at the end. ARE THERE ANY OTHER NEW CHANGES TO THE FILMS just since the release of this box set??? :(