PDA

View Full Version : Victim/Volunteer wanted.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Holbrook
September 25th, 2004, 01:46 PM
This is a lot to ask I know.

I have a manuscript I need reading.

I don't want a detailed critique as the manuscript is finished as regards tweaking, all save the grammar and a nit pick for typos.

What I want is some one to read it as a "reader" if that makes sense. I want an opinion whether it has enough to make you plough on to the end or give up.

Is the story interesting etc... An honest thumbs up or down.

It is large, 240,000 words and should be ready for reading by Monday at the latest....

Anyone interested let me know....

Thanks.

michaelS0620
September 25th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Holbrook,

I am interested in helping out but have a couple of q's.

1) When are you looking to have it read by?
2) What type of story is it? I wouldn't want to agree if the story is not of a genre I enjoy as I would not be able to give you the type of feedback you are looking for. For instance, I am not a big fan of vampire novels, so if your book is one of those, I may judge it more harshly than is warranted.

Thanks!

Michael

Holbrook
September 26th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Holbrook,

I am interested in helping out but have a couple of q's.

1) When are you looking to have it read by?

When ever you can manage it..... I am aiming to have this done end of October... or rather the main submission ready then... but time can alter.....And you don't have to read it all if it is driving you insane, or boring the pants off you.

I would send only the first three chapters to begin with, then if you are still willing, send it in chunks..

2) What type of story is it? I wouldn't want to agree if the story is not of a genre I enjoy as I would not be able to give you the type of feedback you are looking for. For instance, I am not a big fan of vampire novels, so if your book is one of those, I may judge it more harshly than is warranted.

It's I suppose, high, epic fantasy. More a story of an event than one main character.

There is no mages, wizards or magic. No dragons or other magical creatures. No elves, dwarves etc....

It does not have happy endings for the main characters.

It does have a rather different content, not magical, more spiritual/religious if anything...

I have been working on this for six years off and on.The work is based on one simple idea; the Hero/King has a special sword; who made it, why and how. What has resulted is not quite so simple.

My nickname for the work is "the monster"

michaelS0620
September 26th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Sounds fine, Holbrook. PM me and we can work it out.

Thanks,

Michael

Dawnstorm
September 27th, 2004, 12:18 PM
You know I'm curious, don't you? ;)

(Just send it my way, including the ex-last chapter, perhaps... Would be nice to be just a reader for a change...)

:)

Hereford Eye
September 29th, 2004, 12:13 PM
This is a lot to ask I know.

I have a manuscript that needs reading.

I don't want a detailed critique as the manuscript is finished as regards tweaking, all save the grammar and a nit pick for typos.

What I want is some one to read it as a "reader" if that makes sense. I want an opinion whether it has enough to make you plough on to the end or give up.

Is the story interesting etc... An honest thumbs up or down.

It is a little more than 19,000 words and is ready for reading today....

Anyone interested let me know....

Thanks.

Rocket Sheep
September 29th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Do you have the time to join a crit group like Otherworlds.net. ie. time to crit 8,000w per month for other people?

It's just that if I crit stuff there, I get points to post my stuff and if I post my stuff I get 5/6 feedbacks instead of one.

This one for one ratio isn't really economically viable in terms of feedback for effort. stingy bloody sheep!

Hereford Eye
September 30th, 2004, 08:09 AM
RS: Reluctant to join crit groups as my ability to provide the kind of crit you and Dawnstorm do so well is near non-existent. As you know, I have trouble recognizing POV, only realize a grammatical blunder has been made when it slaps me in the face or spell check says it's so. I probably would not recognize a split infinitive if it poked me in my glasses. If folk believe they are getting a crit, they have higher expectations than I am able to meet.

kater
September 30th, 2004, 08:42 AM
I will willingly be both your guinea pigs hol/HE - I've sent you both pm's about where to send it if you want to.

Rocket Sheep
September 30th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Hey, there's only room for one or two grammar nazi's per crit group. Everyone has comments to offer even if it is just as a reader. You don't have to crit grammar, stick to critiquing plot, characterisation, etc. That's heaps more important anyway. :)