PDA

View Full Version : A question about the Star Wars Clone Wars animated series

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj
September 29th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Okay, there is a possibility that I may be wrong about this, but I'm pretty positive that the Clone Wars animated series is considered "cannon" to the Star Wars Saga. And, as many of you probably already know, General Grievous from the Clone Wars is going to have a big part in Episode III. Now, we all are aware, I'm sure, that Lucas doesn't consider the Star Wars expanded universe (books & comics) cannon to the Star wars Saga? Here's my question, then: Why then in one of the episodes was there one of the World Devastators that the cloned Palpatine used in the Dark Empire Trilogy?

Glelas
September 29th, 2004, 10:35 AM
I just read an article on the Expanded SW Universe. I am by no means an EU expert having only read the Thrawn trilogy. However I have always been fascinated and curious about the SW EU. If I remember correctly, the article stated that Lucas has actually used some ideas from the authors in the prequels. Zahn not Lucas came up with the name Coruscant for the Republic Capitol. Also in this third film I believe he is using a ship? or weapon? taken right out of one of the prequel novels. The article pretty much said Lucas is slowly taking some concepts and names that fit "well" into the movie and making it canon. The rumored TV series may actually be based on certain EU novels. Sorry for the ambiguity, I really can't remember where I read this article, online? or in a magazine? :confused:

Zsinj
September 30th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I read the thing about the TV series too, only I read it on theforce.net website. I have to tell you though, I have some serious trepidation about lucas making a SW tv series. Let's not forget how Hercules and Xena went down the crapper! **SHUDDER** And then we have the abysmal Beastmaster and Sheena. **SHUDDER** **SHUDDER**
Honestly, I think if Lucas is that serious about doing a tv series. He should make it animated and let Genndy Tartovsky take the helm. That guy has done phenomenal stuff with the Clone Wars. Imagine what he could do with the Thrawn Trilogy, or Dark Empire, or The Knights of the Old Republic/Dark Lords of the Sith storyline, or Rogue Squadron! The possibilities are endless!

Oh and one more thing, if I remeber right, Ralph McQuarrie, the lead concept artist for the original trilogy came up with the idea for Coruscant, and that was waaaay before the Thrawn Trilogy. You see, from what I've read about it, Luke was originally meant to go to Coruscant to confront Emperor Palpatine in Return of the Jedi, not the Second Death Star. That would have been cool to see that in ROTJ, but back then, I don't think they would have had the technology to pull it off, which I think is one of the reasons why they nixed the idea.

By the way, I hope to God that Episode III turns out as awesome as I'm expecting it to be. Episode II somewhat dissapointed me. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but there were so many things that Lucas promised would be in that film and failed to deliver on.

saintjon
September 30th, 2004, 09:12 PM
The way I told it from way way back is that the books at first were considered canon, then when the new movies started coming I heard that Lucas had changed that bit so that they were canon so long as they didn't contradict the movies. Damn shame, some of the author's came up with ideas that were way better than lucas', Boba Fett's story in particular was really well fleshed out by a couple different authors then trashed by ep. 2.

Glelas
October 1st, 2004, 06:27 AM
Oh and one more thing, if I remeber right, Ralph McQuarrie, the lead concept artist for the original trilogy came up with the idea for Coruscant, and that was waaaay before the Thrawn Trilogy. You see, from what I've read about it, Luke was originally meant to go to Coruscant to confront Emperor Palpatine in Return of the Jedi, not the Second Death Star. That would have been cool to see that in ROTJ, but back then, I don't think they would have had the technology to pull it off, which I think is one of the reasons why they nixed the idea.

I stand corrected. Now that you say it, I think I remember something like that also. I think. Too much passive reading = no long-term memory.

Man, that would have been way better than the "innovative and original" idea of a second death star.

Zsinj
October 1st, 2004, 10:32 AM
Boba Fett's story in particular was really well fleshed out by a couple different authors then trashed by ep. 2.

I completely agree with you, Saintjon. The way Lucas ruined the Boba Fett mythos in Episode II utterly pissed me off. And the fact that the clone troopers were all taken from the DNA of a bounty hunter irks me also.
It seems ever since the beginning of his denouoncing the SW Expanded Universe as not being canon, Lucas has preached and preached on Boba Fett being dead after falling into the Sarlaac Pit. It's almost like he didn't like the big fan following that Boba Fett had, like he was jealous of it or something. And when he revealed the heritage of Boba Fett in Episode II, it's like he was saying to the fans "what do you think of your so-called hero now, eh?"
Another thing that pissed me off about Episode II was that, as I said before, Lucas promised us so many things in Episode II that didn't happen at all, such as the beginning of the Great Jedi Purge in Episode II, and the bounty hunter Aurra Sing taking a big role in that, and that we would see Palpatine rise to power as the Emperor and the beginning of the Empire. What in the heck happened?!!

Hobbit
October 1st, 2004, 07:10 PM
Well, I guess Lucas is saving those events for Episode III (yeah, right :D)

I hate to throw in a sense of negativity here, but I'm really not sure I like the Clone Wars cartoons. I've just recently sat through them as the Cartoon Network channel here in the UK have been running the 20 5 minute episodes as a (nearly) continuous movie of 90 mins or so.

And.... humph.

First off, I don't like the cartoon style, which seems to be very much en vogue at the moment. For (fairly obvious) reasons, I kept thinking Samurai Jack and Batman of the Future in style.

It's a taste thing but I much prefer the shaded light and dark, say of the original Batman/Dark Knight series of the 1990's. The style here is much to brash for my liking. Dare I say it, but they seem rather flat! For that reason, Batman of the Future looked cheaper IMO but I could follow the stories.

Yes... stories. IMO The Clone War series belies it's 5 minute origins. I found it disjointed, repetitive and really quite dull in places, though I did try to watch it with an open mind. The story was nothing really to speak of other than really confirm my opinion of Anakin Skywalker as a spoilt brat (though again I did try and watch it trying to like it).

Having said that, my 8 year old loved it, and seemed to get more of the story than I did.

Hobbit

saintjon
October 3rd, 2004, 12:17 AM
Between the short story Last Man Standing from Tales of the Bounty Hunters and KW Jeter's Bounty Hunter wars trilogy I felt Boba Fett had been given royal treatment. I was totally satisfied with his backstory, the plots and character provided in those 2 stories were phenomenal and then episode 2 comes out and ruins it all.

BTW, episode 2 did feature the rise of Palpatine to power all thanks to Jar Jar Binks (I laughed out loud in the theater). That whole tableau at the end with the Victory Class star destroyers and masses troops and all that and Palpatine presiding over it all pretty much laid that out clear as day IMO. It was also one of my favourite scenes from that movie.

Originally they said boba fett's armour was copied from the Mandalorians, who took part in the Clone Wars, an entirely cool and visually exciting concept, as we could've been in for seeing a couple hundred (at least) people in boba fett armour, instead Lucas throws this lame-ass Jango Fett at us, writes of Boba Fett as a clone and as I said before, ruins the whole thing. I understand the desire for creative control, but sometimes other people's ideas for your stuff are quite possibly better than your own. Maybe Lucas will seize control of the mechanical designs now. Whatever, I'm pretty sure the mandalorians were his own idea even. Silly bastard.