PDA

View Full Version : What is Manga?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Glelas
September 29th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Can someone explain what Manga is? I see tons at every bookstore.
Is all kinds on the shelf together? adult, kids? YA?
Help, totally clueless and curious...
What are some titles of each category? :confused:

Quagmire
September 29th, 2004, 03:06 PM
I just know them as Japanese style comics.

Vladimir
September 29th, 2004, 07:29 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manga

Maniac 4 Books
January 16th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Manga is a japanese style comicbook art. It was originally a term to describe japanese artists woodcuts. It was later ressurected by Osamu Tezuka, who wrote New Treasure Island and astro Boy. You won't believe how big the publishing percentage of manga is in japan, and each manga comicbook is as big as a telephone directory! In fact, I have started to draw some manga myself.

Black.Rose.Sin
October 6th, 2007, 12:24 PM
what is manga?! wow, the question pains me so!

manga is japanese animation, and probably the best picture books i will EVER read. it was created by Osamu Tezuka, influenced by german animation, or somethin like that. btw, Tezuka-kun made Astor Boy.

Oh, and i know so much about this cause i did a report on it last year.

Bridie
October 6th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Manga is japanese for comics and is there for only comics not animation, i do believe thats calledd that anime. Correct me if im wrong. Its for Adults and Kids and YA and yeah, i guess they stick em all together on one self cause theres so many categories and all with japanese names like "Shōjo" aimed at girls from 13-18 and is all slushy and full of romance (well most of the time) or "Shounen" which is aimed at men and is mostly violent with lots of fights and such.

cheese
October 7th, 2007, 01:30 PM
The question has already been answered, but I'll add a little.

The manga industry is huge in Japan. Manga (Japanese comics) sell more copies in a week then the entire comic book industry in America does in a year. It's a 10 billion dollar industry a year. There are differences between American comics and manga. First off, manga isn't in colour (except the odd page at the start in some series), it's a totally different art style, IMO it encompasses more genres and is aimed at pretty much every age group. It's not uncommon to see businessmen in there 50's reading manga in Japan. Heck, even one of the candidates for the next Prime Minister in Japan is a self-proclaimed manga nerd. Most manga series release chapters weekly, bi-monthly, or monthly in manga magazines. There are literally a TON of different manga magazines in Japan. Eventually these chapters get compiled into volumes (which is how they're released outside of Japan).

The manga industry is highly tied to the anime (Japanese animation) industry in Japan. Once manga get popular in Japan they eventually make them into anime (whether T.V. series, OVA's or movies). The anime industry is also huge in Japan with a lot of it airing in prime-time T.V. slots. The most successful manga get spawned into anime. To a certain extent, a good portion of anime exists just to advertise the manga and sell more copies of it.

My favourite genre is Seinen, which is aimed at males primarily 18-35. I used to be into Shounen, but I find it kind of repetitive since it's audience is typically kids.

Manga is getting more and more shelf space in North America. It's getting incredibly popular. Anime conventions are growing at a rapid pace and big retailers are selling anime/manga these days.

EDIT: Whoa, didn't realize how old this topic is. Why was it bumped?...

James Carmack
October 8th, 2007, 07:43 PM
As for the manga/anime distinction, it's actually not absolutely clear-cut here in Japan. By and large, manga is comics and anime is animation, but there are instances where manga is used for animation (albeit increasingly rare nowadays). Just to offer one citation, in Otaku no Video, when Kubo and the gang are waiting in line for a movie (Nausicaa, I believe), a drunken passerby states his disbelief that they're waiting in such a long line for a "manga". Tanaka, in true otaku form, indignantly corrects him that it's "anime". (In the English translation, they use "cartoon" instead of "manga", which catches one of the big controversies among the English-speaking fandom.)

I should also note that among English-speaking audiences, manga and anime are Japanese comics and animation respectively (and sometimes applied to imitative works). However, among the Japanese there is no such distinction. For them, X-Men is as much a manga as Hayate no Gotoku and Disney puts out anime the same as Sunrise. Also, "comics" is used a fair bit, too, both in regular usage and as the label of publishing labels (ex. Big Spirit Comics). As this is the comics thread, I will note that "amekomi" is used by some fans of American comics (like Rurouni Kenshin creator Nobuhiro Watsuki) to make the distinction. I actually come off as a bit of an oddball for trying to be so distinct about Japanese versus American (and other foreign) material. There doesn't seem to be as much of a pressing need to separate the two over here, except for perhaps among the most hardcore fans, though I have yet to meet any. (I guess Otacon was right about otaku after all. ^o^ )