PDA

View Full Version : Does it hover over water?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Bardos
September 29th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Hallo all.

This is a kind of "technical" question.

I have a vehicle in mind. It is like a car, but with no wheels. Instead of wheels it has valves. From the valves a forces (air) shoots downwards, and makes the thing hover 0.5 to 1 meter above ground. Inside the vehicle there are levers and stuff, so you can turn the valves and direct the vehicle where you want to.

My problem is this. Would this vehicle hover over water? Or does it have to be land under it?

Mind, the vehicle is supposed to be made of iron alloy, not like a hovercraft with plastic under it.

Expendable
September 29th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Like for the British Harrier Jet (http://www.harrier.org.uk/technical/How_Hovers.htm)?

If they can lift an airplane, why can't you lift this hovercar? It shouldn't matter what's under it.

choppy
September 29th, 2004, 06:14 PM
This would depend on a number of things (generally whether or not you want it to, as far as fiction is concerned.)

From a technical point of view, it wouldn't matter what you were over if all of the force supporting the vehicle comes from air pushing against air. (Such as in a Harrier jump jet.) However, if what you have in mind works by jets of air striking the ground, and then "bouncing" back up to add additional lift under the vehicle, or if it has some kind of air cusion like a hovercraft, then you could run into problems over water (but not necessarily - as obviously hovercraft work over water).

Bardos
September 29th, 2004, 06:23 PM
However, if what you have in mind works by jets of air striking the ground, and then "bouncing" back up to add additional lift under the vehicle [...]

That's what I have in mind.

And, well, I don't want it to hover over water. But: if someone could use it for that purpose, would they or wouldn't they? Would they be safe on the vehicle?

Expendable
September 29th, 2004, 06:45 PM
As long as nothing happened to the engine. :D

KatG
September 30th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Don't they have some sort of hydrofoil boats now that cross the English Channel by bouncing on top of the water or something? How do those work? Also, the space shuttle landing abilities might be helpful to know in this instance.

Chlestron
September 30th, 2004, 11:39 AM
If you don't want it to hover over water, then that is fairly simple to do. For example, you could make the air jets very fine pointed that would provide lift over ground, but would simply break the surface tension of the water and not provide enough lift to keep the vehicle aloft.

As for whether or not people would try to make it go over water, I would say that the average person wouldn't. It'd be like a car today, most people realize that cars don't work on water and so don't try to force the issue.

Bardos
September 30th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Thank you all for your opinions!!

Still working on it. Have asked a guy who studies Physics, too. Though, the gas that will shoot from the vavles is not going to be a normal, earthly gas, I found that some Physics did help. Got to be based on some logic, even in fantasy, doesn't it? Yep, I want that vehicle for a fantasy setting, not a scifi one. :)

SubZero61992
September 30th, 2004, 05:50 PM
when I get technical about this, no, it would not.

The air shooting out of the valves would push the water down and the hover car would lower along with it.
Eventually the person would be underwater.

Think about it.

Oh, but if this is an acception, if the vehicle had a good jump off of something it just migth stay in the air for some time.

SubZero.

Bardos
October 2nd, 2004, 02:44 AM
The air shooting out of the valves would push the water down and the hover car would lower along with it.
Eventually the person would be underwater.

Yep. That's what I, initially, thought, too. And it seems we are right about it. :D