View Full Version : Name that book... please

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Jinx
October 4th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Hi,

I was kept awake last night by one of those nagging annoyences - a forgotten book.

What I can remember:

In a world made up of very separte and very different cities (they all have their own names, none of which I can remember) a very important man goes missing (is kidnapped?) from the efficient city. The Investigator that the book follows (who lives in the viberant city) has to find him, first finding an old comrade in the dark/violent city, then finding the guy (maybe just hiding?) in the most secretive of the cities. Our hero escapes the city through some kind of water system. I also seem to remember some kind of dream scape involving an airoplane, and some thing to do with this only working when someone is flying over looking down... though maybe this was just my own dream?

Thanks for your help,

Jamie Kitson

Archren
October 4th, 2004, 10:33 AM
I'm going waaay out on a limb here, and I know that it's not the right answer because I'm thinking of a short story, but your description sounds vaguely reminiscent of "'Repent, Harelquin!' Said the Tick-Tock Man." by Harlan Ellison. :o

Jinx
October 6th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Thanks, but no, that's not it :(

Rob B
October 6th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Cities in Flight by James Blish?

Jinx
October 11th, 2004, 07:33 AM
No, I think it was a modern single story, thanks though :)

scooter13
October 13th, 2004, 05:42 AM
"Only Forward (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553579703/qid=1097664414/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/002-5273417-5032817)" by Michael Marshall Smith. Very good book. Well, at least I enjoyed it. :D