View Full Version : Misspeled Incorectly

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Lifino
October 4th, 2004, 11:35 PM
So, I have this problem of always misspelling certain words. For instance I simply can not spell Tomorrow, I ALWAYS must go back and fix it.

I wanted to ask, what words can't you spell? On a regular basis?

Or for that matter which words are your pet peeve? Where you see others misusing or misspelling them and it sends you up the wall. In my case it's the various forms of 'YOU' and 'THEY.' Like when somebody uses 'their' for 'they're.' etc...

Just wanted to ask.

Erebus
October 5th, 2004, 02:00 AM
For me it's equal top billing for seeing the incorrect use of its and it's, and the incorrect spelling of definitely as definately. I see it done so often it makes me cringe! :)

James Barclay
October 5th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Almost too many to mention but here are a couple of old favourites:

seige instead of siege (and I've had to check to make sure I got it the right way round this time).

gazetteer (I mis-spell this word in many and various ways. It's not a word in wide usage but I have one attached to my website so it's common to me...)

emmisary instead of emissary.

Isn't it odd how with all of these sorts of mis-spellings, you look at the little red line under the word and think to yourself, 'No, Word for Windows, it is YOU who are wrong' everytime. Only to be glad no one was looking over your shoulder...

NOM

Greyseagull
October 5th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Maybe it's just me being Canadian, but I could SWEAR that LOSE(as in "to lose a race") is always spelled LOOSE(which is actually when something is the opposite of tight)by so many people, I begin to question if *I* spell it wrong.

Drew
October 7th, 2004, 03:41 PM
I don't do it personally, but I cannot stand when people use "their", "there", and "they're" incorrectly.

Expendable
October 7th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Part of the problem is that spell-checkers usually only see when the word's spelled wrong. Word at least has a grammer checker too.

I wonder how long before we'll have an editor program?

Eldanuumea
October 7th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Words I always hesitate over.....emergancy (is that correct?), practice (always use an s for that second c), surprise (often put a z instead of an s).

I also tend to use British spellings, like theatre, colour, favour, grey. Drives my students crazy.

Expendable
October 7th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Emergency. I have the same problem with surprise and gray.

Kanin
October 7th, 2004, 07:07 PM
It's gets to me when people use 'to' instead of 'too'.

SubZero61992
October 8th, 2004, 05:28 AM
I often have spelling mistakes simply because I don't pay attention to what my hands are typing.

For instance, say I am sound out a word to spell and I type the beginning sound instead of the word.
Eaxample- I couldn't see anything ba the headlights still helped.

Another thing is spacing too quickly.
I often do this- I don' twant to go t oschool.