PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo 2004

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

choppy
October 6th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Is anyone signing on to do national novel writing month this year?

The idea is that you have 30 days to write a 50 000 word novel. I've done it the past two years and found that it's quite a good exercise to get the creative juices flowing. It starts November 1st.

The site is at www.nanowrimo.org I belive.

SubZero61992
October 7th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Cool, there is a movie where a man must write 500,000 word novel in 1 month or else he is killed.

Lol.

Drew
October 7th, 2004, 02:42 PM
I would try but there is no way I could do it.

I have never written a 50K story in years! :p

mistri
October 8th, 2004, 09:09 AM
This is my third year as well (although I failed my first one). I absolutely love Nanowrimo and have been pimping it to people on all the forums I visit.

Roll on November! (if only I can finish my plotting by then!)

Jamza1986
October 8th, 2004, 04:32 PM
CAn you really market a 50k novel?

Abby
October 8th, 2004, 05:44 PM
You can market a 50k novel to some markets. It would be difficult.

My problem with NaNoWriMo is quality. Sure, I can write 50k in a month. But 50k worth reading . . . ? Um, nope. Don't think so!

mistri
October 10th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Although you are encouraged to write a full story within 50k you do not have to. I will be writing the first half of a 100k (estimated length) story.

I hope you're not suggesting we'll all write books so bad none will ever be worth reading! The whole point of Nano is not to worry about quality. This doesn't devalue the worth of what we're doing, however. Many people, myself included at times, find it difficult to make progress in their writing because of their internal editor. If you try and write perfectly all the time, it can be hard to get anywhere at all. If you let go and write 50k, however, at least you have 50k that can be revised. Plus, I've recently reread last year's, and although it does need some plot revision, and there are typos galore from typing so fast, it actually reads pretty well. Having to write so quickly just forces you to get into the flow of the story and go with it.

It doesn't work for everyone of course. I just think it's silly to say (I'm not saying anyone here said this, but I have heard this before) that nothing worthwhile can come out of Nanowrimo.

Finally, Chris Baty's (he's the Nano founder) book, No Plot? No Problem! lists several bestselling books that are around 50k. I can't remember most of them, except for perhaps Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

choppy
October 12th, 2004, 07:44 PM
50 k is a minimum.

Personally I see this as more of an exercise than a project that will see publication.

I'll be trying my hand at fantasy this year, which is a bit of a change for me. As warm up I've been reading some Robert Jordan (So far I feel comforatble in saying that I wouldn't be surprised if the Wheel of Time novels were written with the internal editor turned off - not that they're all that bad - just get to the point already!)

Cheers!

Abby
October 13th, 2004, 01:22 AM
I've got a friend who's going to do the NaNoWriMo. I think it can work for some people; just not me. I agree that the internal editor should be turned off for the first draft. But--this is a matter of personal method--I need a fleshed-out plot to work from. I put a lot of thought into how I present each scene, and how the plot unfolds to the reader. Consequently, I spend more time thinking about my novel than I do writing it. This isn't my internal editor. My editing mode kicks in later, when I agonize over revisions and polishing and so forth. The conceptualization is the fun part. I don't think I'd have fun with it if I had a time limit on the problem-solving / plotting / presentation process. I bake novel ideas in my head for years before I ever begin writing them.

Of course, I could choose one of my long-baking ideas and try to write it in a month, but none of them are quite ready to pop out of the oven. Even if they were, I wouldn't want a time limit on producing something that I've spent so long thinking about. I'd want a finished product that I can revise, not a finished product that I have to rewrite from scratch because I didn't take the time to think it through thoroughly. But this is my method. I'm a slow, methodical thinker.

I agree about Robert Jordan there . . . I'm a fan, but he needs an editor other than his wife. On the other hand, he's proof that networking, connections, and previous publications are just important--if not more so--than editing!

mistri
October 13th, 2004, 05:01 AM
I definitely agree that it's not for everyone. I'm a planner too. By the time November comes along I'll have spent a month coming up with what I hope will be a fairly sturdy outline.

I see this as both an exercise and something that could see publication one day. An exercise to get myself into a groove where I'm writing every day again, and I'm also hoping to get a decent-ish first draft (well, half of a first draft - I'll have to keep writing way after November to finish it).

Anyone else here doing it?