View Full Version : Gender and writing.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Holbrook
October 8th, 2004, 06:48 AM
A fellow member reminded me of this test and I thought it would be interesting to post it here and see the results.

Have you ever thought what "gender" you write in? I always assumed words were words and our use of them only differed because of education, culture and social use.

But no, it seems we use different words according to our gender? True or false? I don't know, but I have yet to have this programme throw up my correct gender.

It would be interesting to see what results others come up with.

Inspired by an article in The New York Times Magazine, the Gender Genie uses a simplified version of an algorithm developed by Moshe Koppel, Bar-Ilan University in Israel, and Shlomo Argamon, Illinois Institute of Technology, to predict the gender of an author.

http://bookblog.net/gender/genie.html

Merancapeman
October 8th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Actually, the most difficult Gender language to translate is Latin... UUUGggghhhh.......

Greyseagull
October 8th, 2004, 01:00 PM
My gender was found to be Female, and I'm a male-not too surprised though, I've had a lot of people comment that my writing style tends to seem feminine in nature. The test seemed to base part of what was written on whether it was a male or female character(I'm guessing they figure that a male would only write male characters?) I certainly don't take it as an insult(say, maybe I could write a romance novel, take a female Nom de Plume, and make bucket loads of cash! After all, people don't buy THOSE for the plots :))

Dawnstorm
October 8th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Played around with that a bit.

Entered 5 texts. Came out male 4 times and female 1 time. Was always about 50:50.

Do any of you get clear results?

Expendable
October 8th, 2004, 01:59 PM
How does it work? What does it look for? None of the article links work.

Eldanuumea
October 8th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Female Score: 0
Male Score: 114

Good lord! Guess I have been operating all these years under a major misunderstanding about myself......ROTFL!!

What in the world makes my writing so "male"? That is what I want to know.

The sample I submitted was short. Maybe I need to pull a piece from one of my actual stories and submit again.

Holbrook
October 8th, 2004, 02:17 PM
How does it work? What does it look for? None of the article links work.

Expendable; if you put in a section of writing, when it has been processed it tells you what it looked for. Certain words is seems are used mainly by one gender or another, also the manner of their use....

Richardb
October 8th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Interesting... it did figure out I was a male, but the score was 45% female to 55% male... whew... just barely passed the test on my gender. ;)

Eldanuumea
October 8th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Female Score: 57
Male Score: 331

Well, this time I pasted in a 250-word sample from one of my LOTR fanfic stories. I got a few points for the female side.......I am just dumbfounded.

(next try)
Female Score: 957
Male Score: 573

Finally!! This time I submitted a sample from another of my stories, over 550 words, and it was more accurate. This sample had a bit of dialogue in it. I wonder if that influenced the results at all.

Abby
October 8th, 2004, 06:40 PM
I'm female, but apparently that analyzer thinks I'm male. I give it an accuracy rating of 0. :D

I don't think it's possible to determine a person's gender based on their writing, unless you base the test off of gender stereotypes. Then you can say that an ultra-flowery passage is female, and a hardcore action passage is male. But anything in between would screw it up.