PDA

View Full Version : Black Gate submissions

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Literbug
October 12th, 2004, 06:22 PM
I have a question for anybody who has submitted to Black Gate before - how long do you usually have to wait before you hear anything back? I submitted a 6000-word short story via email following the guidelines for international submissions on Thu 23/09/2004 and to date haven't heard anything back. Is this a good or bad sign? Or, I suspect, probably not indicative of anything?

TheEarCollector
October 12th, 2004, 07:09 PM
I don't know about Black Gate in particular but wait 2 months to get word from a magazine (in my experience)

Rocket Sheep
October 12th, 2004, 07:56 PM
It usually takes a couple of months for any mag to read anything but that doesn't mean you can't send it on to another mag.

A lot of mags use voluntary staff so it's not fair to submit to multiple magazines at one time... all that staff time wasted if one mag picks it up... BUT it is not fair for publishers to expect an author to sit around for months waiting for an answer and spend a year sending one story to just a few publishers if their livelihood depends on it.

For semi-pro mags where you aren't going to earn much money anyway and the staff are voluntary, I'd cut them some slack and stagger the mail outs by four weeks... keeping a list of who has it so you can notify the mag to throw it out of their slush pile if someone else picks it up.

In the meantime, don't waste time wondering what's happening to it... write something else.

Kraken
October 12th, 2004, 08:38 PM
From the Black Gate submissions page:

"Response Time
Our response time for physical submissions is 3-5 months. Due to the extremely high volume of electronic submissions, our response time can be significantly higher for e-submissions."

Most magazines do state their specific turnaround rate for submissions somewhere :)

Literbug
October 12th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Thanks Kraken, that was sort of the answer I was looking for :o.

My particular concern was with Black Gate because I submitted my story to them via e-mail, as per their guidelines for international submissions, yet did not receive any verification that they actually received the submissions. I was wondering whether I should expect confirmation that they had received my submission. I wasn't expecting an acceptance or a rejection at this early stage :o.

Rocket Sheep, I actually find that semi-pro mags run by volunteers tend to be quicker than pro mags when dealing with submissions. For example, I have already received feedback about a story I sent to ASIM at the same time I sent the other story to Black Gate, stating that it has made it through the first two rounds of their slush process.

I thank you for your encouragement, but telling me to keep on writing is like telling a fish to keep on swimming :D.

TheEarCollector
October 12th, 2004, 09:14 PM
You won't get ANYTHING until you get acceptance or rejection. Ahhhh, the joys of lack of information lol

Literbug
October 12th, 2004, 09:20 PM
LOL! But do you know that about Black Gate in particular as a fact? Because, as I said above, that's not how it worked with ASIM. Or perhaps ASIM are a little more writer-friendly than other mags?

TheEarCollector
October 12th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Ok I don't know about Black Gate in particular, but I would doubt it... The vast majority don't seem to do so (I think ASIM is just friendly lol)