View Full Version : Stay on the ground!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

TheEarCollector
October 15th, 2004, 03:55 AM
Can anyone think of a reason why a whole planet would be unwilling to fly? They are technologically capable, but they won't do it... It's partially a culture thing but that is deep-rooted in something bigger. What might that be?

SubZero61992
October 15th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Is this suppose to be sarcasim?

Otherwise, I cannot seem to find what you're trying to say.

Holbrook
October 15th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Can anyone think of a reason why a whole planet would be unwilling to fly? They are technologically capable, but they won't do it... It's partially a culture thing but that is deep-rooted in something bigger. What might that be?

Perhaps there is something there. Can't been seen or touched, but it is there. People die, people vanish. The skies look empty but they are not. There is danger in the sky. Legends, myths deep rooted, limiting your culture.

juzzza
October 15th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Religion or culture, perhaps birds or flying insects are seen as sacred.

For example, some cultures do not eat beef, as the cow is sacred and some see pork as a filthy animal and will not eat its flesh. Perhaps the people on this planet feel that mimicking flight is sacrilege.

There is a new Muslim Bank, where the accounts do not pay interest, as receiving interest goes against religious beliefs.

Fascinating stuff.

So, the technological ability becomes irrelevant it is about cultural or religious beliefs.

Prunesquallor
October 15th, 2004, 07:47 AM
the skies could be seen as a holy place, one that cannot be entered casually.

the motivation keeping people from flying could be reverence or fear of divine retribution, or both.

Hereford Eye
October 15th, 2004, 08:51 AM
As a protest against the activitities of the Worldwide Terrorists Union?

Expendable
October 15th, 2004, 09:22 AM
"This is it! You ready Orrville?" Wilbur yelled over the sounds of the roaring engines.
"Yeah! Hey, look at that crowd!"
"That P.T. Barnum sure knows how to bring them in."
"Yup! Wish me luck!"

The two brothers shook hands, then gave each other a hug before Orrville turned and carefully climbed aboard the plane. Goggles down, stick in hand, he gave his brother a thumb's up.

"Alright, get ready!" Wilbur yelled. The engines revved up, making the very ground shake.
"Go!"

The men supporting the wings let go, falling away as the first aircraft raced down the wooden planks, struggling for flight.

Only the ground was still shaking. The spectators in the nearby stands were being thrown about. Wilbur's eyes opened widely.
"Earthquake!" he yelled.
He turned in horror back to his brother Orrville and paused as the tiny airplane and his brother left the ground.
"Yes!" he yelled, then gasped in horror as the ground split open in front of Orrville.

Orrville frantically tried to turn but he and the aircraft fell into the raw crack in the earth.
"NO!" Wilbur sprinted down the hill, but the crack rumbled and sealed shut, leaving only a faint line of raw dirt.

Later, in P.T. Barnum's railcar, Wilbur sat hunched over with a blanket drapped over his shoulders, a hot cup of coffee in his hands. P.T. grunted and poured brandy into the cup.

"Its a tough break kid," P.T. rumbled sadly.
"Yeah," Wilbur muttered, then drank deeply.
Someone knocked. P.T. turned irritably, putting the bottle down on his desk before jerking open the door.
"What do you.. oh! Professor," he said, glancing over his shoulder at Wilbur, then stepped outside, pulling the door shut behind him.
"Mr. Barnum," the professor said, "I feel I must report to the world what happened. How my machine..."
"Professor, it was an accident," P.T. told him. "You just tried to goose the crowd, give'm a thrill. If this got out, it wouldn't do you or me any good. Think any university would touch you if they knew? Let's just keep this our little secret..."

ironchef texmex
October 15th, 2004, 02:51 PM
If this is another planet something like an atmosphere that gives rise to large scale wind shears would do the trick.

Bitter Buffalo
October 16th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Remnants of an Alien built planetary defense system automatically destroy any aircraft that climbs above a certain altitude.

That or...

They can teleport themselves anywhere they need to go instantly so whats the point of flying.

Chris G.
October 17th, 2004, 02:37 PM
The people can fly and using machinery to do it would destroy the atmosphere?