PDA

View Full Version : Alright, we're going on a road trip

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

TheEarCollector
October 15th, 2004, 11:06 PM
How is it that writers manage to give the feel of a long journey? Not just like getting in the car and driving for a few hours... What do you do to give the feeling of an all-out expedition type of voyage in your writing (or what would you do)?
I think Lord of the Rings did this for me, notably when Aragon first hooks up with the hobbits and they are just walking all over the place prior to the stabbing incident... It made the world feel a lot larger and more real... The movie had a lot of walking around but I don't think it came anywhere near the book.
I think of it as hiking. How do YOU capture that feeling?

Drew
October 16th, 2004, 01:03 PM
I can't really offer a suggestion, I would just like to chime in that I would like to know as well. I am brewing something now where a long journey is going to occur, and I would really like to avoid it being drawn out and bland walking/hiking.

Perhaps there could be important stops along the way. Give the townsfolk some differences in style so that you get the feel of seperated societies?

Chris G.
October 17th, 2004, 02:50 PM
In my book Earth Stone, I had other places I could jump to. I would elude to something or a destination and have a chapter break and go on to my other characters in a different part of the story. When i got back to the "traveling character" a large distance would have been covered and they would be camping by the time the reader caught up with them.

Just today, I have a book with a character traveling to the moon on the space shuttle to do a sling shot around it and head out to a new world that shares Earth's orbit on the opposite side of the sun. The origonal appollo missions took five days to get to the moon, I decided to do my shot in three. Well, how many paragraphs of gobledy-goo can I cover for THREE DAYS of mostly boring travel time?

I jump to other characters in differnt parts of the story. Have a slot of stuff happen and then, eventually get back to the character on the shuttle. Joila, they are inserting into a Lunar orbit. I may have a paragraph or two going over the previos three days in retrospect, then again, I may just have a line or two and nothing more. Depends on the situation.

Greyseagull
October 18th, 2004, 12:14 PM
My .02 worth :)

I think with Aragorn there was a lot of history that he told the hobbits about, and there were a lot of myths and legends to go with that history. I think when you create a larger history in the characters worlds, it gives a lot more to work with.

Also, there was insane(in a good way) detail over what roads they walked, what trees they saw, what mountains lay ahead, stuff like that. Tolkien would spend a paragraph or two just describing a pathway the characters walked along, and THAT added quite a bit to the feeling of a journey, with a lot of talking and chatting amongst the characters, and that's what helped to figure the "journey" feel of the story