View Full Version : Screen writing

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Drakonslair
October 19th, 2004, 08:41 AM
I'd first like to point out that I have never written anything in my life that was worthwhile. But I have an idea in my head for an CGI movie in the vein of Final Fantasy and I wanted to go about writing a screenplay for it but Im at a loss as to where to start.

I was just wondering how one goes about getting ideas down on paper and if anyone here has done anything similar before?

Any recommendations on resourses for this type of thing?

Expendable
October 19th, 2004, 09:22 AM
...I was just wondering how one goes about getting ideas down on paper and if anyone here has done anything similar before?

Any recommendations on resourses for this type of thing?

You could go look at Charles Deemer's (http://www.geocities.com/cdeemer/Screen.htm) site.

Or check out the Screenwriting (http://www.writerswrite.com/screenwriting/) section of the WritersWrite website.

And Screenwriting.info (http://www.screenwriting.info/) has a nice looking site with lots of info.

SubZero61992
October 19th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Um, the ideas things.

For awhile, I got a penicl and paper, wrote down the names of Inuyasha episodes, The LAst Samurai ( a movie) names, um, I gathered some creatures, such as gargoyles from looking on a channel guide.

SO just do things like that.
Or play a game to get ideas.

Drakonslair
October 19th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Its not so much getting ideas that I have a problem with. I have a rough outline of what I want to do. I have some scenes constructed completely in my mind. My main problem is that I cant convert the visual images into corresponding words

SubZero61992
October 19th, 2004, 05:25 PM
So, are you trying to write a Play like style or just a normal story?

Ex.: Play: JIll: I beat you!
Jack ( sarcasticly): I dont run on trees.

Drakonslair
October 19th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Its a screen play like your example. I just havent done anything like this before so I am trying to get my head around it. When I write I am never very detailed. I prefer things concise and to the point which helps a bit with a screen play

SubZero61992
October 19th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Most plays I have seen start off with the main character or event.
Ex: If it was an event, it would have been liek someone getting murdered. The scene would be dull and probably tiring.
If it started off with the m/c, then I would have most likely seen them running or showing off what they can do, say, swordfighting?
The screen to me should be bright, most likely in the morning.

Drakonslair
October 19th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Close to what I was thinking but this is a very dark type of movie Im thinking off so there is a sword figth but its taking place at sundown and it raining.

SubZero61992
October 19th, 2004, 06:13 PM
(????? throws Jak a sword)
?????- seriously- " I'll give you a fighting chance!"
( Jak holds the sword steady)
Jak- " It isnt a chance, it is certain, you will not walk away tonight."
(????? breathes hard)
( with a grin) ??????- If it means my legs so be it, you WILL DIE!!!"
( the two clash swords)

Expendable
October 19th, 2004, 06:56 PM
I'd hit the library and see if they've got a book on screen writing but don't forget to look at the link for screenwriting.info - I think that's what you're looking for.

Character names are always in CAPS,
dialogue majorly indented and
Scenes done full page from left to right.

You might want to look at the Snowflake Method post for help organizing your thoughts.