View Full Version : Fear of episode 2

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Alucard
December 28th, 2001, 10:22 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but this movie has me a little nervous. It seems to me, judging from previews, that this film is going to be very hit or miss. For starters, it's a love story. I have nothing against love stories, in fact, I like them if they're done well. The only problem is, if a love story isn't done well, it is simply painful to endure. Now, the film certainly has potential to be fantastic, but as we've all seen with episode 1, just because it's star wars doesn't mean it's going to be good.

In summary, I'm a little nervous about the next installment. I really want to like it, the first three (or last three...to be politically correct) are classics, and as a kid, I watched them until the tapes went stringy. But if this next one is a dud, It'll really hurt the overall series. Everyone makes mistakes, so I'm sure we can all overlook episode 1 with a little time and possibly some sessions with a shrink, but if lucas shoots two blanks in a row...well, let's just say I don't really want to talk about it.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Hobbit
December 28th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Now that I can breathe again after LotR, I must admit I have misgivings about Ep.2.

The Title....hmmm.

Good point - It looks fantastic, but:
Bad points: the dialogue seems to have progressed little (Always been Lucas's weak point in my view.)

Natalie Portman in particular seems to show little difference between herself and a plank of wood in the acting stakes (she looks nice and has a few very nice costume changes in the trailer, but her words and her expression......hmmm).

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I'm really not sure on this one. They do say that Lucas has learned from his mistakes of previous, but I'm much less sure of this one than I was before Phantom.

Hobbit

Crant
December 28th, 2001, 01:52 PM
The problem with Ep2 is not the story or Lucas' lousy directing. It's the lead actor. Hayden Christiansen is really bad, I was worried when they talked about Leo for Ani but now I'm kinda sorry it wasn't him.

mundanemies
December 28th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Phantom Men-ace was abysmally dull: awful dialogue, stupefyingly boring plot (uh, what plot?) and C-grade directing.
And still it was almost as good as Return of the Jedi. To think that I actually loved that movie in 1983? How young, how naiivė...

I waited for Phantom Menace, but not the Clone-Attack anymore. I'm certainly going to see the film,but my expectations are, shall we say, very low. Lucas has never been a good director, A New Hope is a classic because of the terrific ensamble and the timing, not because Georgie-Porgie is a great auteur. THX-1138 is surprisingly good film, but Lucas really should be producing films and giving chances for young and up'n'coming talents. Or let Spielberg do the directing, as long as he doesn't get too close to relevant and important scripts and by "accident" pour gallons of suryp on top of them... http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Shehzad
December 28th, 2001, 04:18 PM
[rant]

Return of the Jedi was BAD. The cute, cuddly merchandising-friendly Ewoks replaced what was initially meant to be a planet of Wookies. In an abysmal attempt to make the film cute and sellable Lucas ruined what could have been a great movie (and there are certainly hints of greatness there!). The funny thing is that a book about the Star Wars universe complained that Ep 6 "actually had 2 fart jokes. what next, poop jokes?"

Well guess, what, Ep 1 didn't disappoint! The Phantom Menace had poop jokes, no script, wooden acting by its lead (Jake Lloyd) and, worse of all, Jar-Jar (who deserevs to be... that's a different topic!)

Now we have Ep 2: Attack of the Clones and I dread the level to which Lucas will descend to get cute laughs. Disney has often been reviled for cute-fying and ruining decent stories, but Lucas seems to have learned a lesson or two from them. Oh, wait, this is supposed to be a LOVE STORY. Well Lucas, look this way, cause you'll see me cringing already. I saw the trailer, and I'm *NOT* looking forward to this one.... bring on The Two Towers

[/end rant]

Alucard
December 28th, 2001, 05:26 PM
And I must add...the lotr stole a hell of a lot of starwars thunder. After watching that, which i loved, a new starwars is just kind of "eh". On my list of movies to see, episode 2 is rather far down. Two towers on the other hand is in the top slots (if not the top).

Giarc
December 29th, 2001, 10:19 AM
To be fair to George Lucas (yes, I thought Ep.1 sucked), comparison with LOTR is not all that fair. Peter Jackson didn't write the LOTR, he just adapted it (perfectly IMO). Georce Lucas is no Professor Tolkien. He's doing two jobs...writing and directing. And since when has hollywood's strength been writing good stories? I have very few expectations of Ep 2, except that the special effects will be great. And that is the only reason I'll be seeing it...I'm a special effects junkie. The original Star Wars trilogy deserve 'classic' status because they were so ground-breaking in the use of special effects and being a large-scale SF event. The next trilogy will never be regarded as classics IMO. LOTR, however, that's a different matter http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif

Sammie
December 29th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Errr...I LIKE Return of the Jedi. A lot. (So Shehzad, you have offended me AGAIN http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif).

I like all the original 3 (and, yes, I HAVE seen them recently) and was most unimpressed by Episode I. It lacked something that the others had. It's not just that 'JarJar' is there, or even that Harrison Ford is not ( http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif). It's s'thing else and I can't for the life of me put my finger on what.

*goes away to ponder the mysteries of film-making*

Alucard
December 29th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Well Sam, I'm no film critic (though i like to act like it http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif), but I think the the first three film's greatness comes from having some charm. Even return of the jedi, which so many people detest, had that special starwars atmosphere (but I'm with Sam here. I don't hate this movie. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with nostalgia...but there it is). But episode 1 felt so sterile. It felt like a cheap imitation, and I'm not just talking about the fact that the acting, directing, and story were poo. And I'm not even talking about the jar-jar (shudder). . .

I think something was lost by the computer effects. I felt if they would have used models and props along with cg, like in movis like sleepy hollow, it would have been a lot more...gritty, I guess would be the word. I like it when a movie looks tangible, regardless of how the effects are done, but episode 1 felt cold and dead to me. And example, the millenium falcon is such a cool looking ship, but each and every vehicle in eps. 1 was utterly boring to look at. So when you couple a sterile look with some cardboard acting, well, you get a film like episode 1. This is just my opinion, but some food for thought....maybe.

So sam, maybe that will help guide that finger of yours (Or maybe it will put that finger down and bring the middle one up http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif).

Hobbit
December 31st, 2001, 01:55 PM
BE AFRAID......BE AFRAID....
(Possible Spoiler coming up!)

From ntlworld today:

NSync will make a cameo appearance in the new Star Wars film, according to reports.

One film fans' website says the boy band will play Jedi Knights who are blown up in a battle with droids.

They will only appear on screen briefly in Episode Two: Attack Of The Clones.

The editor of the www.prequel-spoilers.com (http://www.prequel-spoilers.com) website said: "One of my sources has told me, believe it or not, that NSync will be in Attack Of The Clones!

"I didn't buy it at first either, but this has been confirmed across the board by very reliable sources. It makes sense that George Lucas would do this. Apparently, his daughter's a big fan.

"Apparently, they're each Jedi Knights in the arena battle on Geonosis. They're only seen for literally a half-a-second, waaaay in the background getting blown up by droids. A blurry, far background, split second shot of NSync dying. Not that bad actually."

AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHH......

Hobbit