PDA

View Full Version : Book with terran robots on Jupiter

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Duraccione
October 22nd, 2004, 05:31 PM
Tonight I was talking with a friend, who mentioned a novel/short story he found in a sf collection he read a long time ago: he gave away the book and now he's looking for the title and I couldn't name it.

The plot should be about a spaceship (assumed to be terran) which was massively pierced as a system to allow gravity aboard: the crew finally comes to Jupiter and lands on the "planet". The Jovians aren't hospitable, used to think themselves as the most perfect creatures in the universe and unwilling to have contacts with other races, and reserve the spaceship crew a bad treatment: poison, bombs, acids and so on, but with no effect on the crew. At the end the Jovians go mad and start thinking they're not that perfect people they thought they were.
The crew comes back to ship, takes off and while flying one of them asks the pilot: "Don't you think we had to tell them we're robots?"

I assume it's an old story, but does someone have any idea aboiut its title and author? I'd like to read it.
Thank you :)

Drakonslair
October 22nd, 2004, 06:23 PM
I dont know the book but I really wish you had added a spoiler warning to that. Kinda ruins the story which sounded good.

[MOD EDIT: I've put one of our new spoiler thingies in on the post above, to stop that happening. I'm sure it wasn't intentional! Hobbit ]

Expendable
October 22nd, 2004, 06:46 PM
"Victory Unintentional"
Three specially made ZZ robots visit the militant Jovians.
ISSAC ASIMOV STORY [A.042] Completed February 8, 1942.
ROBOT/EMPIRE TIMELINE:
A few years after "Not Final!", perhaps 2058 A.D.
PARTIAL PUBLICATION RECORD:
----- First publication: Super Science Stories (August 1942)
----- The Rest of the Robots (1964)
----- The Complete Robot (1982)
----- The Robot Collection (Omnibus) (1983)

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~main/asimov1.html

Duraccione
October 23rd, 2004, 02:37 AM
Thank you Expendable! :)
Go searching for it immediately.

I dont know the book but I really wish you had added a spoiler warning to that. Kinda ruins the story which sounded good
Yes, you're right, sorry. Usually I don't care if a thread I'm reading is a spoiler or not, If I like the story I look for it all the same, so sometimes I forget to warn readers...

Hobbit
October 23rd, 2004, 05:06 AM
Well done, Expendable!

I thought I'd read it, but couldn't quite get where...

Hobbit

KatG
October 23rd, 2004, 05:52 PM
Okay, Expendable, cough it up -- how do you do that all the time?

Hobbit
October 23rd, 2004, 08:04 PM
Well, it might be the link, Kat.... you know the

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~main/asimov1.html

bit (as well as Expendable's indispensible MultiVac-like brain... :) )

Good link!

Hobbit

Expendable
October 25th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Okay, Expendable, cough it up -- how do you do that all the time?

I just do.

I'm good at searching, only I still can't find the book I'm looking for. Gotta find some Monica Hughes books like Greyseagull said.