View Full Version : Describing Gore

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

SubZero61992
October 25th, 2004, 07:08 PM
I have to thank Expendable for this idea.

Is it good to spend atleast a seven word long description of something gory?

Ex. - Zade couldn't do nothing. Kane's stomach and his upper body was only attached by a few amount of flesh that lay in a pool of blood.

I know it doesnt sound good, but is it good to describe gore?

Holbrook
October 26th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Its quite good Subzero; The thing with gore is that when you use such descriptions make them count as not have them all the time, so you make your reader wince, or gasp. Like a horror film, if the frighting scenes come all the time you loose interest, so you must build up to them.

My own effort at a bit of gore....

“By Daear’s forge,” the shocked oath of Rhys Huw’s youngest son cut the chill air. The Llafn Meistr’s mount neighed. Its nostrils flared as he tightened the beast’s reins and backed it away from the now open door to the house. There pinned to the inside was Ofydd. The man had been split from neck to navel; his rib cage spread. Both lungs draped over like bloody trappings. His eyes had been removed and lay misted on gored cheeks

James Barclay
October 26th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Gore is one of those that lives by the rule of 'don't over-do it'. Gratuitous gore is dull. Both the descriptions above say exactly what the writer wants the reader to see and do not add unnecessary emotive descriptors. Personally, I think that is the right way to go.

Lay it out simply, let the reader fill in the rest. Your characters should be filling in the emotive bits either side of it.

NOM

TheEarCollector
October 26th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Like NOM was saying... there is real gore, and there is fake gore. If you have ever seen someone die (in the real world) you would know that it isn't as bloody as TV would have you believe... Similarly, if you stab someone, the blade will most likely still be clean upon exit.

People all have their own perceptions of gore, sometimes less can be more, if you say, "Kane's stomach and his upper body WERE only attached by a few amount of flesh that lay in a pool of blood," then I think you are just trying to put to much in the sentence, but not trying to be overly graphic...
I would say something more like:

"Kane's torso lay in a pool of blood, connected to his stomach only by a small amount of flesh."

I don't know... that's just a personal opinion

Jacquin
October 26th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Like NOM was saying... there is real gore, and there is fake gore. If you have ever seen someone die (in the real world) you would know that it isn't as bloody as TV would have you believe... Similarly, if you stab someone, the blade will most likely still be clean upon exit.

I hate to disagree (who am I trying to kid? I LOVE a good debate) but I am more than familiar with violent death (I worked for a number of years in the third busiest Emergency department in the UK) and it can be extremely gory. I won't go into detail but the main thing films and TV get wrong is the colour of blood. You would be amazed at how much blood a person has in them and quite how far a severed artery can spray it.

I should probably stop now. :eek:

J

TheEarCollector
October 26th, 2004, 01:15 PM
I am not saying someone with a dismembered leg won't shoot huge amounts of blood everywhere... I am not familiar with dismemberment.

I meant the process of being wounded by something like a bullet, or a blade. Blood won't spray everywhere and, depending on the weapon, chances are you won't be knocked down by a single bullet to the chest. What I said earlier about blades...

SubZero61992
October 26th, 2004, 04:55 PM
I think if a blade was swung fast swiftly, it would most likely spray blood onto something.

The bullet thing, I think it depends on the strength of someone, or the emotions.

Ex.- When Arnold Swchgenater ( whatever ) was in his Muscle Man years, a bullet probably wouldn't have knocked him down unless it was to an important place such as the shins or head.
But if he was is shock it would have probably knocked him back.

Brittany Spears ( ugh! ) would probably fly a foot backwards and fall if a bullet hit her chest ( wait a minute! ).

SO I think alot depends on age, emotions, and strength.

TheEarCollector
October 26th, 2004, 05:11 PM
A 9mm bullet can hit an 18 year old soldier in the middle of combat and he might not even notice it... Trust me.
A .45 on the other hand, has what you call "knockdown power" because it is a larger round.

As far as bloodspray, yes there can be a spray I never denied that. If you stab a man though, chances are fairly high that you will not have your blade covered in blood (once again assuming you aren't trying to butcher someone slowly). I guess you will just have to trust me on that one too.

Been there and seen it.

SubZero61992
October 26th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Yes, I know, I have heard of some gun that you can be shot with it to the head and have a 15% chance of dying.

TheEarCollector
October 26th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Don't base your physics for ballistics and gore off TV and movies...
Enlist - Oorah!