PDA

View Full Version : Which Movie Series are #1 !!!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

SubZero61992
October 25th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Alright, I have taken a few well known movie series and made a poll.
Vote on the one you think is best of the group.
( sorry if your fav. isnt on there!)

kahnovitch
October 26th, 2004, 06:15 PM
The only problem with this idea is that some films series start out great and then go sadly downhill as the producers get a nasty attack of dollar sign syndrome and attempt to cash in on the success of good concepts like a lot of the intial films mentioned in your poll.
For example I loved the first two Robocop, Alien and Predator films.
The original three Star Wars were great, and all the Star Trek movies with Kirk crew I liked a lot (apart from 1 which was a bit slow).
Then unfortunately film concepts tend to get stretched beyond their means for decent sequels after a certain point.
Two more series not on the list are The Matrix and Terminator which didn't really add much to the original films and just dragged them out to cash in on the established fan-base.

For me best series has to be Indiana Jones, as each one was a seperate adventure in it's own right.
Lord of the Rings success, had more to do with the already solid fan base of the books IMO.

Eventine
October 26th, 2004, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't have minded seeing Back to the Future there, but how is "Anime Series" an option?

I abstained...

SubZero61992
October 26th, 2004, 09:30 PM
You might not keep up with it, but alot of people have Japanese movies imported that they can read captions for translations, and my cousin has some and it has like, seven movies altogether.

kahnovitch
October 26th, 2004, 09:42 PM
So "anime" means any japanese animation film.
Not really a "series" as such, but more of a genre.

Eventine
October 26th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Thanks kahn - that's what I was trying to say.

SubZero61992
October 26th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Thats what I meant, I mean, if you get an animated DVD episode set all of the episodes combined could make a movie, but thats not how you would classify it really.

Eventine
October 26th, 2004, 10:00 PM
The point kahn and I were trying to make is that if you say "Anime movies" why not say "Action movies" or "comedy movies".
If you'd named a particular anime series it would've fit in better.

Another series I quite enjoyed:
Kevin Smith's "Jersey" Films - Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.
Actually, I'm not sure they're exactly a series....
What defines a series? Common characters? Common production staff?

SubZero61992
October 26th, 2004, 10:05 PM
As in series I meant like the StarWars triliogy.

Or the LOTR triliogy.

kahnovitch
October 26th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Essentially a franchise series that carries a sort of brand name like "Jurassic Park" etc.

I grew up with the original Star Wars and it rocked my world at the time (I was about eight) so I might have to choose that, but the newer efforts have sucked big time IMO.

Just thought I'd bump an old thread that touches on this subject...

old thread (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6140&highlight=sequel)