View Full Version : Trades

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Eventine
October 27th, 2004, 12:31 AM
I was thinking of picking up the Sandman trade paperbacks (or at least testing the water with the first one) and also Watchmen (because of the constant references it seems to get).

My question is:
What are the must-have trades? If you had to limit yourself to owning three, which would you pick and why?

Rob B
October 28th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Watchmen (even though I have it single issues)
The Golden Age by James Robinson
Fables Volume 1

Luke_B
October 29th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Ben, in the first eight issues of The Sandman collected in Preludes and Nocturnes Gaiman was really just finding his way. It's not until The Doll's House that The Sandman gets brilliant.

Have you any interest in Warren Ellis's Planetary?

Anything by Alan Moore is great.

Blackwing
November 1st, 2004, 06:08 AM
My question is:
What are the must-have trades? If you had to limit yourself to owning three, which would you pick and why?

I'm a horrible person and I'm going to say: it depends.
Sandman is a continuous story and I really think that if you haven't read the first one you might not get everything out of the later ones.

It also depends on what kind of charcters and stories you like. There are (IIRC) three trades which are full of sort of short stories where Dream is just a minor character. It depends on if you like ancient gods or modern characters or the Endless themselves.

It also depends on how visual you are. A lot of very different artists have done Sandman.

Now, I'm visual and I love ancient gods. I've also read all the trades is order.
I'd recommend a mix of the earlier trades:
The Doll's House (horror and modern characters)
Season of Mists (ancient gods, Lucifer, angels, lovely art)
Fables and Reflections (short stories about historical figures, several different artists)

BeardofPants
November 1st, 2004, 05:51 PM
Watchmen
Sandman
Sin City

Priestvyrce
November 1st, 2004, 06:17 PM
I agree with all the TPBs listed. Here's some that were missed: Daredevil: Born Again , fantastic adventure and christan story. Preacher -all his trades. The Ultimates - a very interesting re-invention of the Avengers, Superman: The Red Son - Superman is from the Motherland of Russia, neat interputation of an old story.

Rob B
November 2nd, 2004, 01:22 PM
The Ultimates - a very interesting re-invention of the Avengers, Superman: The Red Son - Superman is from the Motherland of Russia, neat interputation of an old story.
Mark Millar fan, are we? Didn't read The Ultimates myself, but I did really enjoy Superman: The Red Son.

BeardofPants
November 2nd, 2004, 04:39 PM
Superman: The Red Son sounds intriguing! I'll have to track that one down.. thanks for the suggestion. :D

Mithfânion
November 4th, 2004, 06:52 PM
A few big graphic novels that I either have and rate highly or look forward to buying soon:

Ring of the Nibelungen-P. Craig Russell (two volumes)
V for Vendetta-Moore
Complete Maus-Spiegelman
Blankets-Thompson
Red Star collected edition-Gossett
Life eaters-Brin
300-Miller
Inhumans-Jenkins
Supreme Power-Straczynsky
The Hobbit graphic novel
Berlin Book One-Lutes

fluffy bunny
November 7th, 2004, 05:49 AM