PDA

View Full Version : OKay to use already invented areas?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

SubZero61992
October 28th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Is okay if you take something like, the Thunder PLains from the game FinalFantasyX and put it in a story not meaning for it to be the same place?

Expendable
October 28th, 2004, 11:57 AM
You'd have to change it. The name's common enough but the plain can't look anything like the one in Final Fantasy X.

A different name would be better.

KatG
October 28th, 2004, 12:03 PM
It depends on what you are writing it for. If you're just writing something for you and your friends, you don't have to change it. If you're writing fan fiction for publication on the web or something, you would definitely not want to change it. Of course, sometimes the copyright holders come after fan fiction writers for infringing copyright, but not that often, as it's usually considered a flattering thing that helps with publicity. If there's an established fan fiction site for Final Fantasy, you'd be okay doing it there.

If though you want to write something and try to get it published as your own work, you can not use the Final Fantasy setting, characters or any other aspect of the game. You can, though, borrow ideas from Final Fantasy and recreate them into something of your own.

SubZero61992
October 28th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Well, I dont know if you've played the game or not, but the Thunder Plains are plains that have an never-ending storm rolling overhead.

Or, do you think it would sound better as the Storming Plains

Expendable
October 28th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Well, I dont know if you've played the game or not, but the Thunder Plains are plains that have an never-ending storm rolling overhead.

Or, do you think it would sound better as the Storming Plains

What about the Rumbling Plains? The problem is you've got a description that matches a place in a game. Like KatG said, its ok if this is for a story that's for yourself or is going on a Final Fantasy fanfic website - but its bad news if its your own original story. All the Final Fantasy X players and Square Enix will know you ripped them off.

Although there's nothing to say you can't twist it. Why a plains? Can you imagine a canyon or a maze of canyons? Or a mountain pass with a storm constantly raging around the mountain peak?

Its good to get inspired by things you see and read and play - but remember to twist it to serve you and your goals, to give it a new play at originality.

SubZero61992
October 28th, 2004, 08:45 PM
I never thought of having somewhere to hide during the storm.
I wanted it to be a risk to have to cross it with no protection.

But you idea aboud canyons concerns me.
I think I might consider it, condisering I have time to kill on it.

SubZero61992
October 28th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Another thing.

I described my gargoyles today in chapter four and they are similar to a character in FF-X also.
I think that will pass however considering it is ' my ' gargoyle and not the same as a Ronso.

Drakonslair
October 29th, 2004, 05:02 AM
I wouldnt have pictured a Ronso and a Gargoyle to be the same thing anyway. They are pretty different in my mind.

SubZero61992
October 29th, 2004, 05:24 AM
It is the gargoyles 'ways' I guess that remind me of the ronso.

Drakonslair
October 29th, 2004, 06:04 AM
You should be very careful with the FF aspects of your writting. I realise that FF has some great character ideas and graphically is gorgeous but If your not careful you might end copying it completely when you run into a block. People who have played FF will probably pick up on the similarities as well so while getting an initial idea from somewhere is good you should change it arround as much as possible and make it your own