PDA

View Full Version : Saloons?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SubZero61992
October 29th, 2004, 03:53 PM
In a fantasy book based off times of the sword and no tech., would or should a saloon be there?
Not a western saloon, but a bar where women danced and alcohol was many.

Drakonslair
October 29th, 2004, 04:10 PM
I cant see why not.

You may want to call it something else though as the word saloon tends to conjure up a specific image i.e. western

SubZero61992
October 29th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Well, if you've seen a saloon in a western then you're bound to think that image while reading my book.

Same way if you've seen a HarryPotter movie and then read the book your gonna see the actors and not the described characters.

Dont get me wrong, I will make it 'my' saloon. ;)

Expendable
October 29th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Do you mean ale houses or taverns? Taverns are more likely to have girls dancing and serving wenches. Ale houses were usually run by ale wives and most I don't think would have put up with it.

SubZero61992
October 29th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Taverns I would say, though westerns alwats refered to them as ' whore-houses'.

Sorry if that word affects anyone.

KatG
October 30th, 2004, 06:09 PM
No, a tavern is another word for an inn, though many taverns did not have overnight accomodations, just meals and drink. A "whore-house" might be called a brothel.

The word "saloon" comes from the French word "salon," meaning an elegant meeting place or hall for socializing, also akin to the Italian "salone" and the Germanic "sala." It became commonly used for specific rooms in ships and later trains (saloon car) that were used for passengers to socialize in and receive alcoholic beverages. Then it became used for rooms in bars where the tap was located, and eventually became the common name for bars in the American Old West.

You can certainly have a bar called a saloon in a story if you want one. But if you're uncertain, you can get yourself a good thesaurus and look up the enormous number of different words used for bars.

Prunesquallor
October 30th, 2004, 08:57 PM
or, go here

Websters online (http://www.m-w.com/)