PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Realism with Fantasy

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SubZero61992
October 31st, 2004, 04:52 PM
Would it be good or bad to mix something like Samurai with fantasy work?

What about Ninja?

Drakonslair
October 31st, 2004, 06:29 PM
I notice you have a particular interest in Oriental elements what with FF, Samurai, Ninja etc.

I assume that by Fantasy you are talking about traditional fantasy, LOTR type things. You could include Samurai, Ninja no problem into a Fantasy or at least characters with similar traits. It just wouldn't really be a traditional Fantasy which is not a bad thing. Dont get limited by the term Fantasy. Its just an industry term for the most part. Mieville is labelled as Fantasy but his work I think would be more sci-fi. The label doesnt matter only the content

Expendable
October 31st, 2004, 08:46 PM
Adding realism to fantasy only helps to make it more believable but you have to be careful with it. Know what is required to become a samarai. When you miss something, you better have an explaination.

SubZero61992
November 1st, 2004, 04:13 AM
Well, I was wondering because I saw a show and the character was a samurai in a fantasy like world.

Chris G.
November 6th, 2004, 07:58 PM
The Japanese have their own fantasy traditions in their culture. Rather than blend western style fantasy elements with Japanese characters and weaponry, why not do some long term/hard corps research and see what you discover? Maybe you can be the western author who brings eastern fantasy to life for the rest of us? ;)