PDA

View Full Version : Dune the TV miniseries

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Bond
January 1st, 2002, 08:27 PM
Just saw the recent Dune TV miniseries and was wondering what people's thoughts on it were. I thought it was a great adaptation. It reminded me of everything I like about the look of Star Wars like the over the top costumes and the characters for the most part fit what I envisioned. True some of the battle sequences and props seemed rather low tech but I forgive them that since I don't expect everything I see to be an hundred million+ dollar production. The storytelling was very good though which is what I think really counts in the end.

Probably it is better than the old version yes? I did not see that one except for a few clips but I remember that the look of the still suits alone in that version made me nauseated. Your thoughts?

Berhael
January 9th, 2002, 01:03 AM
Hi Bond,

I only managed to watch the first part of the mini series. Can't say I liked it much! It had a cramped, indoor look. I missed the desert! But it had good points: stillsuits are far better than the Lynch version, and I prefer the miniseries Feyd-Rautha over the Lynch one.

Bond
January 9th, 2002, 08:48 PM
Hello Berhael, I guess this has been talked about elsewhere or else it just hasn't been seen. Oh well.

saintjon
January 18th, 2002, 07:14 AM
That mini-series was the reason I started reading the books. I thought it was pretty faithful, more dramatic than the book. Ever notice in the books how Herbert's pre-dispositions as a scientific mind sometimes leap out at you from the text? I mean like Since Army a. has (x)#of Fremen who were raised in Environment d. which has a hostility factor of 50
AND
Since Army b. has (x)#of Fremen who were raised in Environment s. which has a hostility factor of 45
THEREFORE
Army a. will be victorious. No need to describe tactics or imagination of commanding officers or anything like that. LOL
Thought it was kind of funny in the mini-series how they pull out those little knives and it sounds like someone unsheathing a greatsword! SSSHHHHHEEEEEENNNGGGGG!!!!!!

mistressoftheforce
February 28th, 2002, 10:50 PM
Hi, um...I just finished watching the Dune minseries after a long and agonising wait and was sorely disappointed. I thought that the costumes were too garish, for that type of movie and that the characters were poorly cast, though some did an excellent performance. It is true that the series stayed mostly faithful to the book, though there were a few minor differences but I thought that maybe if more time and money had been put into it, the redeeming parts of the series may have been saved by the storyline. Other than that...it was sort of enjoyable. Though I did like the Lynch version, maybe that's where I'm a little bias... http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif