PDA

View Full Version : Weapons

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SubZero61992
November 2nd, 2004, 05:40 PM
When using weapons, I tend to describe them in my own words because I don't think it is right to use the weapons real name.

Can someone tell me if I am suppose to use the weapons real name?
Mostly I am concerned about the things like, um say Naginata the Japanese pike, would I use that name or describe it and call it a pike?

Note: My broad swords, daggers, long swords and bows are the same names.

Rira
November 2nd, 2004, 05:52 PM
personally id call it what it is...pike broadsword, blunderbuss (isnt that a great word?) but id leave out the names, like you said. discribe it instead.

still.....i guess it depends.....if your writing a story that is based on Japanese life, warefare or such, then maybe it should be included...as long as its not a brand name or something that was created by someone else....to tell you the truth...ive never heard of that weapon your mentioned, so im kinda lost.

Drakonslair
November 2nd, 2004, 06:05 PM
I agree with Rira. I also have heard of that weapon mainly from my days on Discworld. Though if you are trying to give your story an oriental feel it may be appropriate to use the term as it would supply more a sense of realism to the story

SubZero61992
November 2nd, 2004, 06:08 PM
personally id call it what it is...pike broadsword, blunderbuss (isnt that a great word?) but id leave out the names, like you said. discribe it instead.

still.....i guess it depends.....if your writing a story that is based on Japanese life, warefare or such, then maybe it should be included...as long as its not a brand name or something that was created by someone else....to tell you the truth...ive never heard of that weapon your mentioned, so im kinda lost.

Thats strange, its seems to me one of the most favortie Japanese weapons.

Rira
November 2nd, 2004, 06:11 PM
im not really familiar with Japanese weapons, ways, battles...anything really. Sorry.

TheEarCollector
November 3rd, 2004, 01:10 AM
I would say use the name, but explain what it is...

To call a naginata the "japanese pike" is kind of wrong because it is more of a sword blade on the end of a stick, than it is a spearhead on the end of a really long stick. Use fancier words when you describe it for your story though, pointy sticks just won't do ;)

SubZero61992
November 3rd, 2004, 05:03 AM
I would say use the name, but explain what it is...

To call a naginata the "japanese pike" is kind of wrong because it is more of a sword blade on the end of a stick, than it is a spearhead on the end of a really long stick. Use fancier words when you describe it for your story though, pointy sticks just won't do ;)

Right, however the Japanese Pike was refered to as the Naginata with Samurai.

Ouroboros
November 3rd, 2004, 08:13 AM
A naginata would probably correspond more closely to a halberd than a pike, which would be a yari.

Both types of weapon would come under the umbrella term of polearms.

kahnovitch
November 3rd, 2004, 03:13 PM
In answer to your question SubZero, there's nothing wrong with calling a sword a sword or a rapier or cutlass or whatever.
Those are the correct names for the objects. They aren't owned by anyone (the names that is) so don't worry about it.

Chris G.
November 6th, 2004, 07:51 PM
In my latest book, Realm World the people are coming out of 10,000 years without war and now they have to get ready for one. They know what weapons are, however real weapons are beyond their experience. They have bows for hunting, and knives of course, but when it came down to creating for themselves and the describing real weapons I stopped short. I called the sword they created for themselves a "short sword" and thought right after wrote it, "oops, can't do that."
I wanted the sword to be a Roman Gladious type of sword and had them describe it as they examined one, then I decided they would call swords "skewers" because the word sword is not in their lexicon. I have to remind myself to write "skewer" every time I mention one, but so far so good. Here is an excerpt from my novel to illustrate what I mean.

“This,” Said Gallad reaching into the sack and pulling out what looked like a small bow attached to a board with a crank on the side. “Is one of the new Dwarven weapons. They call it a ‘cross bow.’”
“What’s wrong with regular bows?” Asked Barrion as Gallad handed him the weapon and hefted it feeling its weight.
Reaching into the sack again, Gallad produced what looked like a thin metal box with small, 8 inch metal arrows in it. “Its easier to use than a regular bow. Just about anyone can handle it with only an hour’s training and a little practice.”
“How does it work?” Asked Barrion handing it back to him.
“These are called bolts.” He said displaying the box. As he spoke, he demonstrated each of the weapon’s features. “The box is spring loaded and fits on top. Once that is done you turn this crank as tight as it can go and then…”
Standing up he faced the wall by the door. One by one he unloaded ten metal bolts into the wooden paneling of the far wall, striking it with such force they imbedded themselves two thirds of the way up their shafts.
“Amazing.” Trystan breathed as Gallad handed it to him. “What made it fire?”
“That curved piece of metal underneath is called the ‘looser.’ Every time you pull it another bolt gets loosed. The bolts are made of a new metal they’ve been working with. It’s very light, but very strong. To reload it, all you have to do is clip on another box of bolts and crank the handle again.”

Here’s another

“Things are looking up.” Said Barrion admiring the weapon. “But what happens when you run out of bolts?”
“Then they have these.” Gallad said as he reached into the sack and pulled out a long object sheathed in a leather holder. “They call it a ‘skewer.’” He said removing the holder and jabbing the blade forward for emphasis. Edged on both sides, the blade looked to be about 22 inches long with a wooden handle.
“That’s nasty looking.” Becca said staring at the skewer. “Do they have many of them?”
“Enough for all their Dwarves and the members of my team. More are being made right now.”
“And what about these?” Trystan hefted the crossbow.
“Every Dwarf has one and more of them are coming too. They’ve switched every workshop over to making skewers and crossbows as well as parts and ammunition.” He
smiled.