View Full Version : Lucifer Morningstar

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Luke_B
November 4th, 2004, 01:44 AM
I've heard that Lucifer is one of the best comics out at the moment. What do people around here think?

What's the best way for me to catch-up with Lucifer? What trades would you recommend I start with to get me up to speed with the present singles?

Rob B
November 4th, 2004, 12:46 PM
The first trade is Devil in the Gateway, and yes, I've seen extremely good things about this series, such that, quality-wise, it is has picked up where Gaiman's Sandman left off.

Interview with writer Mike Carey: http://www.sfsite.com/10b/mc186.htm
DC Comics/Vertigo feature site: http://www.dccomics.com/features/lucifer/
unofficial Web site: http://lucifermorningstar.com/

Luke_B
November 4th, 2004, 04:59 PM
So Rob, you're saying start at the start? Damn, then I have a lot of catching up to do. There's a fair few trades and I'm not a rich man.

alan empty
November 8th, 2004, 05:04 PM
If you can get your hands on #50 that's a stand-alone with great art by P Craig Russell (I think).

The only other issue I've read is #1 which was OK but not great. I've been toying with the idea of buying some more but I've not bothered yet. I only recently finished reading all of Sandman and I think it may suffer by such close comparison.

Mithfânion
November 9th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Hmmm, would it be possible to enjoy this if one didn't care for Sandman ( like me?). It does look really interesting.

P.S.

Reason I didn't care for Sandman is that I picked the volume that seemed most interesting to me (ancient Gods and other supernatural creatures), Season of Mists, and I was really underwhelmed by the art. Gaiman's writing wasn't really the problem. Still that was only one book and the other volumes were illustrated by other artists, I think. Does someone have a link to some Sandman samples?

alan empty
November 9th, 2004, 07:19 AM
I'm not sure. I guess it'll depend on what you think of the artist. I believe virtually all of Lucifer is drawn by Peter Gross and most people seem to like his work. Have a Google - I'm sure there's lots of stuff online.

Re: Sandman. I put off reading this for years because I wasn't too keen on a lot of the art (I tend to prefer a cleaner style). I tried it again recently and loved it (including the art). I'd recommend you trying it again some time - it really is great stuff.

fluffy bunny
November 9th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Well, I've been keeping up to date (since swapping from single issues to trades at issue 27). I enjoyed it at the time, and still go back to certain stories, yet I avoid other stories in the series like the plague.

Yes start at the beginning (as the plotlines build on each other). The trades get progressively better, with the best ones being 4&5 (IMHO), though the story in the sixth trade (Mansions of Silence) was a bit rubbish for me.

Carey writes 4-7 issue arc plots followed be single issues. I guess you may want to track down #24 which is a stand alone, but does tie into the series (though to a lesser extent).

would it be possible to enjoy this if one didn't care for Sandman
Well I started on Lucifer, and went onto Sandman. There are one or two Sandman references, though not getting them doesn't really affect your reading of the story.

The only other issue I've read is #1 which was OK but not great
I'll agree that the first few issues aren't the greatest as the writer's still finding his feet at this point. You could argue the same thing when it comes to the early Sandman issues.

Does someone have a link to some Sandman samples?
http://dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?cat=VERTIGO

alan empty
November 9th, 2004, 07:37 AM
I'll agree that the first few issues aren't the greatest as the writer's still finding his feet at this point. You could argue the same thing when it comes to the early Sandman issues.
Definitely. And I did the same thing with Sandman - tried a few early issues, didn't think it was too great and dropped it. My mistake. I'd assumed that Lucifer was the same - glad to have you confirm that.

I'll have to try and track down a few more early issues. I avoid trades if I can. Except for 100 Bullets.

Mithfânion
November 9th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Re: Sandman. I put off reading this for years because I wasn't too keen on a lot of the art (I tend to prefer a cleaner style).

Same here. Which is why I'm more into the European comics, which feature some absolutely marvellous art (I'm thinking of Civiello in particular here).

Priestvyrce
November 9th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Thought the stories are sometimes hit or miss. Even when they miss, they miss spectacularly! This is a very imaginative series, which uses bits and pieces of other mythologies and meshes them together. Sometimes Lucifer doesn't even make an appearance, yet you feel his presence thru out the whole series. Though the art isn't always the best, it's the story that pulls me in.