View Full Version : TV/film science fiction

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Loque
February 14th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Ok, i expect this has been done before and to be honest I'm a nit dubious about asking, but what do you people think of sci-fi on tv and in films? It seems to me that is usually a sort of 'soft' scienve fiction e.g. Star Trek. I was wondering if you agreed and if you feel this makes it less valid as sci-fi and do you people like it? I for one enjoy Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5 and a number of others but often find myself wishing for something that feels more like true science fiction. Am I insane?

Erebus
February 14th, 2002, 12:56 PM
This may get a more relevant response in the TV and Film section, so I'll move it there now. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

There's already some threads discussing those shows you mentioned.

Corwwyn
February 15th, 2002, 01:57 AM
Well, it grates a little when some basic scientific errors creep into the scripts (eg degrees kelvin in STTNG - I mean, I can forgive a crewman making that mistake, but when Data says it...it breaks my suspension of disbelief).

I think Hollywood is terrified of trying harder SF. The harder the SF gets the more likely it seems to me that the story degenerates into horror (and not good horror either but weak, tacked on cliched horror).

Rob B
February 15th, 2002, 03:08 AM
In general, I think the SFF on TV is crap.

Xena, Hercules, Beastmaster, The New Conan, Relic Hunter, Mutant X, etc. I've tried to watch each hoping that they would at least be decent, but shuddered in disapproval.

However, the SciFi Channel here in the US has a couple of quality original shows FarScape chief among them.

SusF
February 15th, 2002, 05:41 AM
I watch Farscape, though I've lost track if the current season. I also enjoy Enterprise. It is pretty cool so far.

In the horror genre I watch Buffy and Angel. I also liked Wolf Lake before they cancelled it.

There's quite a lot to choose from. Much different than when I grew up on Star Trek and Lost in Space re-runs. This is very cool.

Susan

Loque
February 15th, 2002, 09:20 AM
ah, i din't notice this section, sorry, would have helped if i'd looked properly first, FitzFlagg I've watched some of the programmes you mentioned and didn't really like any of them. They just seem plain weird. Farscape is one of the best I've seen in ages even if it did go a bit weird for a while it seems to be getting back on track. I think by far the best science finction series I've ever seen is Babylon 5, it's so convincing, just seems real, all the incidental details, it's almost like fantasy in some ways with the kind of ideas going on. Problem is everyone else seems to hate it, in my whole life i've come across two other people who like it, one is my brother. I think a large problem was it was shown in the uk at about 1am on channel four and if you missed an episode or two you could totally lose the plot. I'm lucky though, my brother bought the whole series (bar three he couldn't find) on video so i am now watching them at my leisure, great stuff, i can't recommend it highly enough, in fact it's probably the most absorbing series i've ever seen full stop. Ok i admit it, i'm obsessed, really should get myself a girlfriend.

theVodkaCircle
February 15th, 2002, 01:18 PM
I agree Loque. Most tv sci fi is very lame and geared towards the tv junkie rather than the sci fi junkie. Although you (like me) watch them purely because they are sci fi and there is so little of it available.

Something with the visuals, action and believability of Aliens with the characters and plot of Stephen Donaldsons Gap series in a series format would be great. Not saying it would be easy to produce but you would gain a hard core fan base very quickly.

Loque
February 16th, 2002, 09:07 AM
it's true, i'll give anything sci-fi a try, but i find myself getting bored with most of them after a while, did anyone catch the abysmal 'seven days'?

Kym
March 2nd, 2002, 07:19 PM
Babylon 5 is the best SF that's been on TV. Gritty stuff and believable.

AlienNation was my next best show. Can't get over them axing it before at least ending the storyline. What &^%$'s! Luckily, the novels came out and finished it up.

DS9. Liked it and watched it.

Voyager. What was wrong with that? They had characters, they had reasonable plot but it just didn't gel.

Farscape. Started pretty sloppy but got better as it went.

OK Buffy and Angel aren't SF but hell, I love it anyway.

Enterprise. Just started here so don't have an opinion as yet.

Sophia
February 17th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Did anyone else watch Wolf Lake?? Cant believe it was cancelled after only 9 eps!!

Am getting a friend to keep an eye out and get it for me when she goes on hols to USA soon :)