PDA

View Full Version : How long is a short story?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Drakonslair
November 4th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Just wonder how long/short a short story can be. Im not sure on the matter. What would be an example of a minimum and maximum wordcount

Chlestron
November 4th, 2004, 02:59 PM
A lot of that depends on who's doing the judging on it.

My own take is this:
Short Story is between 0 and about 10k words
Novella is between 10k and 40k words
Novel is between 50k words and ~150k words
Epic Novel is > 150k words

These numbers are just based off of what I've read online and other places.

JRMurdock
November 4th, 2004, 03:16 PM
This also dependson where you're submitting your short story. Be sure to read ALL the submission guidelines for any mag you submit too. The quickest way to get rejected is to not follow the rules.

J.R.

SubZero61992
November 5th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Short Story is between 0 and about 10k words
Novella is between 10k and 40k words
Novel is between 50k words and ~150k words
Epic Novel is > 150k words

I can't believe I dont rember what #k means but can you refresh my knowledge on them numbers?
If Epic Novel is 150,000words, then I am setting my goal on that, considering the speed of which my chapters grow in words.

Holbrook
November 5th, 2004, 05:35 AM
I can't believe I dont rember what #k means but can you refresh my knowledge on them numbers?
If Epic Novel is 150,000,000 words, then I am setting my goal on that, considering the speed of which my chapters grow in words.

#k means a 1000. Novel length is considered 90,000 upwards by most publishers. Some novels top 250,000 words....

SubZero61992
November 5th, 2004, 05:37 AM
So, can you expand a story as far as you want, like over 250,000?

Jacquin
November 5th, 2004, 09:39 AM
So, can you expand a story as far as you want, like over 250,000?

You can indeed, but bear in mind the further away from standard you are the less likely you are to be published. Publishers want to make money and you have to give them a good reason to stray from a forumla that they know works.

J

juzzza
November 5th, 2004, 11:22 AM
15,000 - 75,000 are novella range, but Maus provides good advice, the right answer is usually in the submission guidelines, they will tell you what their range is and if they are happy to accept longer works... They may even serialize (Brits, that is American for serialise :D )

TheEarCollector
November 7th, 2004, 02:33 AM
Shorter is better in today's market... People are growing increasingly impatient and publishers know it. We don't need to know everything about everything in your world (unless you are catering to the readers who want another book just to understand the book they are reading).

Like it's been said, for a magazine they are going to be pretty specific on the number of words allowed, I see 2,500 a LOT for magazine submissions. Let the story tell itself, edit out the useless information, and whatever you have is the way it was meant to be told ;)

Holbrook
November 7th, 2004, 02:39 AM
You can indeed, but bear in mind the further away from standard you are the less likely you are to be published. Publishers want to make money and you have to give them a good reason to stray from a forumla that they know works.

J

Yes and no.... Yes, when submitting to a publisher/magazine, submit a piece within their stated guidelines be it 2000 words or between 95,000 and 130,000. BUT when it comes to an agent, (as one told me recently.) Not interested in the length, is the story good? Show me you can write... Any way the piece in question breaks far too many established rules so what the hell with the length. lol...