PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the Manuscript Marketplace?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Crieum
November 4th, 2004, 03:09 PM
I was wondering if anyone out there has tried or had success with the Manuscript Marketplace available through the Maui Writers Convention? For those who aren't familiar with the MM, it's a service for which you pay $150 to have a group of agents and editors review your manuscript (finished or unfinished), and if they like what they read they will ask to deal with you further. You are guaranteed that at least 15 agents/editors will review your work and respond.

I submitted the first ten pages of my unfinished Fantasy manuscript and had limited success. One of the agents said they would like to review my manuscript when it is finished another told me the writing was good but the idea wasn't for them.

Just curious if anyone else has tried the service.

Expendable
November 4th, 2004, 03:25 PM
What books have these editors and agents gotten published in the last year? What kind of royalties did they get for their writers? What are the references for these people?

Just what are they going to do for you that another agent who only gets paid when he sells your book can't do?

Crieum
November 4th, 2004, 03:42 PM
One of the reviewers was from Del Rey and another was from Tor. Others were literary agents who I checked out on the web and seemed to have solid credentials.

I'm fairly certain the service is legit. I found an article on the web about a woman who got her first novel published through the MM.

JRMurdock
November 4th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Check them at Editors and Preditors (do a google search on them to find the web site). They'll give you the skinny on MM I'm sure. This is the best place to find legit places.

KatG
November 4th, 2004, 06:40 PM
The editors and agents who review the work don't get paid for it. The money goes to the Maui convention organization. The reviewers would presumably be editors and agents who are attending the convention or have done so in the past. They review the material in the hopes of finding new authors and as part of their agreed obligations to the convention organizers. These sort of arrangements are common at writers conferences. While pitch appointments and workshop commentary are usually free, writers conferences often offer a professional critique service for which you have to pay an extra fee, though usually you don't get as many as 15 professionals looking at the material. The Maui convention may be offering this service outside the dates of the actual convention, though that's less common. You should certainly check out any individual agent or editor you are interested in to make sure they are legitimate, but the service itself sounds perfectly normal.