PDA

View Full Version : Let's write a story...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Chris G.
November 6th, 2004, 08:10 PM
I'll begin, its a fantasy story. The rest of you just add what you want and let's see where it goes.

"They're coming." Jayden intoned as he and his brother, Gregor, looked out over the castle walls. The sun shone down hot and heavy and inside his armor Jayden felt as though he were cooking.
"Don't sound so ominous." Gregor said, giving his brother a playful nudge. "What's it been, 10 years, 20 since last they came?"
"15."
"15 then. And what happened last time?"

Expendable
November 6th, 2004, 08:56 PM
"We were put on show, had to get our faces kissed and our cheeks pinched only we'd both drank some of that hard cider and threw up all over Aunt Nora," Jayden shrugged.
"Oh. Forgot about that."
"You were three. Of course you forgot."
"Right," Gregor nodded. "Think we can make a run for it?"
"Not a chance. The only thing that'll save us now is an enemy army or a dragon attack.
"Hey, what's that up there?"

Crieum
November 6th, 2004, 11:06 PM
“That big glowing ball in the sky?”
“That’s the sun you idiot. No, up there in the clouds.”
Gregory squinted, half blinded by the sunlight. It took a minute but he finally saw what his brother was talking about. A sparkle in the sky, like a star, only it was the middle of the day. As he watched, the sparkle moved, floating up and down like a leaf in the wind.
“What do you make of it?” He asked, perplexed.
Jayden shook his head, his brow wrinkling as he stared into the heavens. A stiff breeze swept over the wall, tossing his sandy brown hair and pushing him backward. He stood up straighter, his jaw tightening.
“It’s an omen,” he said in a quiet voice.
Gregory looked at his brother, a teasing smile on his round face. He didn’t believe in omens, although Jayden took them quite seriously.
“Are we doomed then?” He asked, with light-hearted sarcasm.
Jayden punched his brother on the shoulder. Hard.
“Don’t make fun of the omens Gregory. The gods have ears you know.”
”I know, I know,” Gregory rubbed his shoulder. “But these are peaceful times, what could we possibly have to fear?”

Expendable
November 7th, 2004, 12:57 PM
"Gregory? Jayden?" echoed a voice from below.
"Its Auntie Jan!" Gregory whispered hoarsely, turning towards the tower stair. "She's coming to pinch our cheeks!"
"You're a grown man now Gregory," Jayden smirked. "Or at least you're suppose to be. Besides, you're wearing armor! How is she suppose to get in there?"
"I know I'm a grown man but that's not going to stop her! She's got a pinch that would bend iron! All our birthday sixpences were bent, didn't you ever wonder why?"
A shadowy figure moved in the tower doorway, puffing a small cloud of smoke.
Jayden and Gregory froze, then relaxed. "Milter!"
"Hello boys, what are you doing up here?" the castle wizard asked, puffing on his pipe.
"Trying to stay out of the way of the visiting guests for our sister's wedding," Jayden said. "Dad suggested we come up here."
"I see," twinkled the wizard's eye merrily. Leaning over the edge of the parapit, he stared down at the throng of people below.

From the far tower, there came a crash. The two young princes and the wizard whirled around.
"What was that?" the princes chorused.

Chris G.
November 7th, 2004, 06:13 PM
"Damn!" Milter spat stomping around the tower, leaving Jayden and Gregor to shrug at one another and bring up the rear. "I forgot to renew the spell."
Looking over the man's shoulder, the brothers could see a broken wooden lounge chair complete with cup holders on each arm and the remains of a chest that must have been tied to its back which was now dribbling its...Jayden stepped closer and gave a sniff, beer and whiskey contents all over the flagstones.
"What's this?" Jayden asked fixing a suspicious eye on the wizard who looked like he wanted to crawl into his pointed hat.
"Uh...heh...its just my barco lounger."
"What spell?" Gregor asked leaning forward. "Wouldn't have been a levitation spell by any chance would it?"
"Welll...what if it was!" He fumed. "That Aunt Jan of yours has fingers that can pinch the dimples off your cheeks. I was planning to fly out to my cabin over on Fang Tooth Mountain for a few days."
"What, and leave us?" Jayden glared indignantly.
"My boy." Milter patted his face with a sickly sweet smile. "These aren't the only types of cheeks she likes to pinch."
"Boys!" Aunt Jan exploded gleefully from behind them.

Chris G.
November 8th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Take it or leave it. I'd rather the story just follow an inspirational course, but what about THIS idea?

Milter and the boys teleport to the cabin just as Aunt Jan races over to them. Milter didn't intend to take the boys, but..."OOPS!"
Can't send them back for three days. Ok, three days later they go back and everyone's dead. HUh...HUH.....what-a-ya think?!??!??!?!?!?! :D

Expendable
November 8th, 2004, 06:39 PM
ooc:if everyone's dead who would be left to rescue?

ic:"Boys!" Aunt Jan exploded gleefully from behind them.
Immediately the boys slammed their visors shut, while Milton made good his escape with a muffled pop and a cloud of smoke.
"Gregory?" Aunt Jan demanded a moment later, lifting the boy's visor to peer in on tip toe, "Is that you?"
"Auntie Jan! Sorry, didn't hear you come up," Gregory lied slickly.
"Bend down and give me a hug!" she commanded. With a sigh, Gregory leaned down and hugged his aunt who squeeled.
"A... a little tight," she wheezed.
"Oh, I'm sorry Auntie Jan! Are you ok?" Gregory asked, leaning close.

Auntie Jan laughed. "Reminds me of your poor departed Uncle. He used to give me armor-hugs after winning a joust. Oh the bruises but happy times!"
"Uh, when did Uncle Martin pass away Aunt Jan?" Jayden asked, raising his visor and stepping close.
"Jayden, there you are! Your Uncle isn't dead - or better not be. He just departed one day. I wait at home for the day your uncle returns home. THEN he'll be dead!"

"I must be off to see your sister," she announced. "By the way, you haven't seen Milton have you?"
"Er, no Auntie," Jayden shrugged.
"I'll see you two later at the banquet then!" With a rap on the side of the helmets she was off, going down the tower stair.

"That was close," Gregory said, turning to Jayden. "Think we can go to supper with our helmets?"
"She'll just be prepared with a step ladder," Jayden laughed.

Chris G.
November 9th, 2004, 03:01 PM
"Is she gone?" Milter asked reappearing behind them.
"Yes, she's gone." Jayden replied.
"Milter, what do you know about Uncle Martin?" Gregor asked.
"Your Uncle Martin? Why do you ask?"
Looking at each other suspiciously, both brothers set their gauntleted fists on their hips and regarded the diminutive wizard.
"Ok, Milter, fess up, what do you know?" Gregor asked.
"We thought he was dead." Jayden added. "Aunt Jan says he just 'departed' one day."
"Well..." Milton hedged. "He's not dead."
"Well?" Both brothers wondered in unison.
"Look boys, its rather delicate and," He looked around. "Someone might over hear us."
"Oh, right." Gregor deadpanned. "Lets go somewhere more private than the battlements with just the three of us."
Looking between them for a minute, Milter could see he wasn't going to get them off the topic and, darn it, he had used his only displacement spell hiding from Jan.
"Ok." He said solemnly. "I suppose you're both old enough to hear this. However, she's right. He's not dead."

Expendable
November 10th, 2004, 05:52 PM
"He's not?!?" the boys chorused together.
"Then there's only one thing we can do," Gregory said, looking directly at Jayden.
"Right," Jayden nodded, slamming his fist into his palm. "We must embark on a quest to find Uncle Martin! We'll leave immediately..."
"Forget it you two," Milter chuckled, shaking his head as he put his hands on their shoulders. "I like you guys alot but let's face facts. I might have been able to get away but you two have to be here for your sister's wedding. You're stuck."
"But why?" Gregor demanded. "We're not getting married! So why do we have to be here?"
"Because your sister is. It's family. Besides, with all the guests here and the dance after tonights banquet there's sure to be some girls for you guys to meet."
"Hey...!"
"That's got to be worth some cheek pinching, right?"

Chris G.
February 1st, 2005, 05:07 PM
"All right, Milter. I see your point." Jayden fumed. "But at least tell us what did happen to Uncle Martin."