PDA

View Full Version : Loki miniseries; suberb art!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Mithfânion
November 9th, 2004, 09:51 AM
I don't know if anyone has seen these at all, they're a spin-off of the Thor series drawn by Esad Ribic and written by Rob Rodi. I can only say the art is like one long sequence of tremendously beautiful paintings, certainly not like anything I've seen before in comics. I've missed the first two issues (it's four in total and they've all been released) but fortunately Marvel is releasing a hardcover in February:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0785116524/qid=1100014977/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-8871667-5841737?v=glance&s=books

Highly recommended, certainly the coolest depiction of the Norse Gods that I've seen yet (though the ones in Brin's "Life eaters" were decent as well).

Priestvyrce
November 9th, 2004, 10:46 AM
I read all four issues and they were all spectacular in both art and story. Loki "finally" wins, yet in a way, he actually lost. It doesn't stint on action or drama, but still has a very dark humor about it. I thought that it was one of the unsung series to come out of Marvel in a long while.

Mithfânion
November 9th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Priest, how do art and story compare to the efforts by Dan Jurgens and Oemming?

Priestvyrce
November 9th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Better. But for one reason, Jurgens and Oeming runs were, IMO, rushed to conclusion; whereas Rodi and Ribic didn't seem to have any interference in the way they told their story. The pacing for the Loki mini was even and nunanced; whereas Jurgens' and Oeming's runs, though I thought were excellent, their endings were kind of cobbled together really ruining the whole experience for me.