PDA

View Full Version : Word Weariness

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Dawnstorm
November 9th, 2004, 01:55 PM
I'm forcing myself to write this, because it's something I want to get across, but it's hard for me to get through with it, because I currently suffer from...

...Word Weariness.

It's not a condition that's new to me, and - usually - I just take time off playing video games, listening to music (or playing the piano - not very well, I should add, there's a reason I've put this into brackets...). However, it's the first time word weariness hits me while I'm participating in web-based activities... or try to...

During my bouts of word weariness writing is hard, and - to a lesser extent - reading is. It's probably a specific form of writer's block, but it goes a bit beyond that. When I'm in word weariness mode, putting content into writing - but especially speech - is hard, as there's a cloud of linguistic expressions in my head, and everything gets mixed up.

Example: My mother tongue (and the language I communicate on a daily basis) is German. The language I write stories & poetry & stuff in is English. (Don't ask why, I don't know...). Today, I replied to someone, as I got what she was talking about: "Ich sehe," which is a literal translation of "I see," but makes no sense whatsoever in German in this context. I do not normally mix up the two languages in such a way, but when in word weariness mode distinctions break down (any distinctions, not just language barriers), and I start confusing myself no end. Result: I can't focus on language: writing, reading, and - especially - verbally responding (arguing a point, editing/feed-back of texts...).

To this effect: I've been writing a response to the "Moral views of authors" thread in the fantasy section, but I've scrapped it, because it didn't make sense. I've written up a piece for the "Porcellaine egg" thread in the Collab section; I didn't post it, because (1) I think it sucks (may have potential, but still...) and (2) because I doubt I could follow up... Any other projects I'm involved in... my eyes glaze over.

So why am I writing this? (And actually posting it, if you read this...):

1. People who may expect me to... let's say... contribute should know why.
2. I wonder, if anybody else has ever encountered similar problems.
3. I want to make a noise, so my virtual self doesn't just disappear.
4. I want to see if I'm still capable of being coherent, if I put my mind to it.

There you go... If you read all the way down here, you're either interested or brave. In any case, thanks.

;)

JRMurdock
November 9th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Ich Sehe.

As of recent I have suffered, once again, from the same deliema. I had just written 4 or 5 really good short stories (so I was on a word high) and I had just finished reading the entire Myth series (by Robert Asprin) in a two week time frame. At the same time, my workgroup is attempting (for the second time) to do a major database upgrade. It failed miserably the last time and this time it actually went worse.

This stress has killed my creativity. :( I hate when that happens.

I had a ray of sunshine show up in the mail today and I think this slump will disappear quickly. I read a chapter (then realized I must get back to work) but I was sucked very quickly into Gemquest (not the person, the books, silly). Mine have the 'Alan' spelling not the Con Edition with 'Allan'. I guess I'll have to search e-bay for the misspelled version so I can be rich one day. :)

Writing, I've found, is a roller coaster. For those of us that don't do it full-time, it's a violent rollercoaster because there are so many factors that interrupt our lives day-to-day. I can only guess that those stress aren't relieved once one goes pro, but I would assume that you can at least contol your rollercoaster a wee bit better. At least you'd have more time to get it under control.

What ever you do, Dawnstorm, don't feel alone. I get into slumps from time to time, but then I think we all do. I even took a long break from sffworld and had a hard time getting back into the swing of things even though I was still a writing fiend. After a year of short story writing (I'm now working on my first novella) I feel more in control than I did a year ago at this time, but slumps still happen. I guess the best it to just shrug, and get over it. Try to spark yourself into action. The delivery I got today has done that for me and I've barely cracked the spine. They just sit here next to me, I'd say smiling, but there's no smiling anywhere on the covers. :)

I'm off to shrug. I'm off to read. I'm off to write. WEEEEEE!

Expendable
November 9th, 2004, 06:22 PM
OH! That.... >.<

It's mental exhaustion, totally natural, it really happens to everyone. Best thing you can do is to get out of your head for a while. Take a week off, don't read anything. Just let your head clear out.

Just don't forget to come back.

I've had that happen.

-Ex.

Dawnstorm
November 10th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Thanx for the replies. It's not that bad, really.

ironchef texmex
November 14th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Whenever it happens to me it's usually a case of output getting ahead of input.

I get over it by reading alot of books that typically got the 'masterpiece' tag, nonfiction, reciting poetry, watching movies that fill me with a sense of awe (Apocolypse Now, Planet of the Apes, Dr. Zhivago, Logan's Run).

A few days of that and I'm ready to get back at it (and go thump some "damn dirty apes!") :D