PDA

View Full Version : Poison Elves

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Mithfânion
November 9th, 2004, 08:09 PM
I'm interested in this series but need some more info. It's obviously a long-running series and I was thinking about picking up the Mulehide years, a steeply priced volume that seems to collect a lot of editions. However from the reviews it seems that there is some difference between those written while he was self-published and the reprints under Sirius Entertainment. There's possibly a difference between a written version and a comic version (obviously I'm looking for the latter).

Does anyone know more about this?

Priestvyrce
November 10th, 2004, 12:34 AM
I got into Poison Elves late about three years ago. The Mulehide issues are the Luisher(Lucifer) and when Drew hayes went over to Sirus, he changed it to Poison Elves. The Mulehide issues collected in TPBs are by far the wilder issues and I highly recommend them, if you got the cash. The Sirus issues start of as wild and wooly, but as Drew Hayes health has affected him badly, he's just not the same angry writer as he was when he started. Still a very different fantasy series, like Cerebus, is cerebral and action packed.

Mithfânion
November 10th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Ok, so I'll be picking up the huge Mulehide trade, something to look forward to. But what exactly does it look like? The Mulehide issues are all comics as well right? I read in one review that the first two issues don't contain much art because Hayes really disliked the art of those first issues and that the rest does feature art. In general, is there art on every page like your average comic or is it simply a book with a lot of pictures? Is it all black-and-white?

Priestvyrce
November 10th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Well Drew would do issues that would at times just be prose with a picture. The Mulehide issues are pretty crude though you do see Drew develop artistically. I think that he used the TPBs to straighten out as muc as he could his old art. I'll have to dig out the TPB and see exactly.

Mithfânion
November 10th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I'd appreciate it. The fact that there seems to be a difference in art quality and especially in art frequency makes me unable to decided where to start, especially given these aren't cheap sample books.

Surt
January 8th, 2005, 01:59 AM
As far as I remember, it's only the two first I, Lusiphur issues which are prose. The remaining 18 are comics as we know them.

They are actually really good, although the art was a bit crude at times. Volume 5, Sanctuary, which contains the first 12 issues of PE from Sirius is also very good. Unfortunately things went downhill pretty quickly from there.

Does anyone know if it's still being published?

Priestvyrce
January 8th, 2005, 09:03 AM
It comes out every once in a while, but Drew Hayes health has been bad for a long time. So, when it comes out is when he can feel that he can do it. Your right,Surt. Ever since the Sanctuary story line petered out, Hayes has gone long winded nothing. The adventures of Lusipher have been trite, though some moments have been fun, still it has been a downward spirial. I still get the book, when it comes out, but the intensity seems to have left the book.

Mithfânion
January 15th, 2005, 01:44 PM
I got the Mulehide years for Christmas. It's great, it's all art, even the first chapters. Very happy with it.

I got the Red Star Collected edition as well, I don't know if anyone is familiar with that comic.