View Full Version : Why do you write?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Gary Wassner
November 10th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Every author writes for a different reason. Some have to pay their bills. Some write because they have to; they feel empty when they are not writing. Some write because they have a need to accomplish something everyday and writing helps to alleviate that need. Some write because they have a story that they need to tell. Some write because they think they have a story that they need to tell. Some people write because they crave the gratification that might result from having a book published. Some need to vent their anger, love, sexuality, hate, pain, happiness or frustration, and they never care if anyone reads it. Some people write because they want the world to know how they feel about certain things.

Why do you write?

JamesL
November 10th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Hi Gem!

I can't remember who it was, but there was an author who, when asked why he wrote, replied "Because it's easier than not writing."

I guess that some people just feel they have a story to tell. For me personally, I write because not only do I enjoy creating a character and a world, but because I like to think I have some ability as a writer! :)

I think most people write because they enjoy it. This is what reading and writing is about ultimately - enjoyment.

Writing can be hard to enjoy however when you spend 2 hours trying to write one paragraph! :rolleyes:

Jamza1986
November 10th, 2004, 01:47 PM
I think there are two main reasons: I write to express myself, thereby providing adequate release of emotions, ideas and struggles which I can't fully convey otherwise. I also write because have an imagination packed full of weird and wonderful concepts, and to realize these imaginings through writing brings me a lot of satisfaction.

I love the sense of creation in the process of writing. I also enjoy creating characters both similar and different to myself. I can try empathize with them and when I really get into them, I almost feel what they are feeling.

Expendable
November 10th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Its something I can do.

-Ex.

SubZero61992
November 10th, 2004, 06:14 PM
I have plenty of reasons.

1) I enjoy it.
2) I want to see my book in stores
3) I am young right now
4) I need my stories to be told or else my stomach will feel queezy from so many great ideas.
5) The money would be of importance
6) May'be schools will be reading them as required readers some day.

Drew
November 10th, 2004, 06:18 PM
I agree with James here...

I have an incredible influx of odd ideas simply from the sort of life I live. I watch crazy shows and movies and whatnot and it starts brewing ideas for me. I have long enjoyed creating worlds and filling them up.

I play DnD with friends and have been for years. I am the DM so I am forced to come up with interesting stories and twists to keep my players' attention.

Another reason I have written, but don't do habitually is to get feelings out of me. I am a paranoid schizophrenic and sometimes the stories I write have similar situations as I have been in. It makes me feel better to have a character to relate to, but who am I kidding, that story got tossed! :p

Richardb
November 10th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Cheaper than drugs... just as addictive... and the high lasts longer :cool:

I work a million hours a week... and then make time to write... I ask all the time why I do it. It is fun, relaxing, and an important mental exercise for me.
Don't care about making money, don't care about fame, or fortune. Just like having folks take a read and enjoying it.

TheEarCollector
November 11th, 2004, 02:39 AM
I enjoy writing (in the language sense... nothing more beautiful to me than when I can finally make a page perfect, though it may take a whole week)
I sometimes have a point to make (alright a lot of my concepts are really crazy and extreme, but I think they are interesting ;))
I want to know I'm not alone (I tend to bastardize personal experiences into something bizarre or spice it up for the story, but at its core it is something that I have usually experienced in one way or another and when a reader tells me "I could feel that because..." it just makes me feel not so alone in dealing with a lot of the undesirable aspects of life)

juzzza
November 11th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Hmmm, well as I first fired up an Amiga 2000 word processing package (laptops did not exist then) almost 11 years ago, my drive to 'WRITE' has changed over time.

I have always had a vivid imagination, my teachers used to tell my mother so, and writing was always a good outlet.

However, when I was in my late teens I was tired of waiting for the next book to come out by my favourite fantasy writer and wondered if I could do it... Write a good book that is. So I set it almost as a personal challenge. That's another thing about me apart from being creative, I like to challenge myself or put myself in situations to see how I cope.

I got the writing bug and have progressed from there. I too craved the glow of seeing my name in print and of course fantasize about the money that so few writers ever actually attain.

I think deep down I would just love to do this for a living. After all, I would have no boss, can live and work anywhere in the world and although your name can become well known, most writers could bump into you in the street, spit in your face and you would have no idea it was Dean Koontz who just flobbed at you and called you a pr*ck, before running off to catch a train!!! Perfect job for me (writing that is, not rushing around spitting at people).

It's also a bit romantic isn't it? "What do you do for a living?" asked the stunning girl at the party. "I'm a writer," I replied.

Or you're on a train and across from you someone is reading your book. You smile and say above the chuck chuck, chuck chuk of the train "I wrote that... Worship me"

Clearly I am far more selfish than some, just look at the contrast in reasons. Of course I enjoy it and to be successful others would have to as well however, their enjoyment means I get to live the life I desire and my ego gets the boost it desires, EVERYONE is then happy.

MrBF1V3
November 11th, 2004, 11:10 AM
The easiest answer is 'Why not?'
The real answer is harder. I gave up long ago trying to sell anything I'd written, after sending out dozens of stories, and a novel, I got tired of the whole, "great, but not right for us" game, and the postage was killing me.
But why do I still write? Well, there is something about mapping out and executing a good story, there is something about reading something in one of the big mags and being able to think 'Mine's as good as that'. There is something about getting to the place where in most stories everyone goes home and lives happily ever after, and then starting a new paragraph, 'But then suddenly . . . .
Somewhere I read that if you don't enjoy what you write, no one else will either.
For what it's worth. ;) B5