PDA

View Full Version : How much do you write a day?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

JamesL
November 10th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Hi all! :)

Just wondering out of interest...for those of you who write frequently, how much do you write a day?

Do you write a set amount of words, or do you write for a set time?

I tend to work by word count. I tend to feel satisfied with between 1500-2000 words a day, though of course it depends how much other stuff demands my attention. If I only managed an hour of writing, i'd be happy with 500 words.

Drew
November 10th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Well, I write when I get the bug. But I sit down and try to write once every night after everyone is in bed. I turn out the lights and pop on some headphones and go to town.

I have a pretty free schedule though. Do to health constraints, I don't work and I do only a little of school. I am going to a tech school right now that only demands 6 hours of classtime a week. Wed and Thurs. So I do my bit of homework, and without a job, I have the rest of the time free.

I find that I cannot write much during the daytime unless I am really feeling the story, otherwise it is always night.

OK, I went a smidge off-topic here, hehe!

I write ~1K word a night. If it is a good night which only comes once in a while, I have pumped out ~5K. :eek:

JamesL
November 10th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Yes, I find that sometimes I can bash out 2-3000 words in little more than 2 hours, other days I take twice that long to write a single paragraph.

But yes, 1000 words a day seems to be the mimimum requirement if you actually want to see your paragraphs turn into chapters, and so forth.

SubZero61992
November 10th, 2004, 04:59 PM
I have been slower then ususal but not too many days ago I wrote every day until my feel.

IN just 1 chapter I had wrote 9,332 I believe.

ShellyS
November 14th, 2004, 01:52 PM
I'm a burst writer, not a write-everyday writer. And I don't usually keep track by amounts, ie word counts. I try to draft 1-3 scenes each session, whatever their length.

ironchef texmex
November 14th, 2004, 09:23 PM
I shoot for 2k a day when I'm not working. When I am working.... well, I'm happy crank out a paragraph or two.

Richardb
November 16th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Funny, but normally (I have a time consuming job and kids) I will write a few thousand words in a day when I write. I recently signed up for the national novel writers month where you have to write a 50k word novel in 30 days as part of a competition. I focussed just on writing, not editing, but production. I wrote for 2 hours each night, maybe 3 at the most.
And was able to produce 7,000 words per night each night for 8 nights.
Amazing how things change when you remove the limits you put on yourself and focus just on writing... no perfecting, not editing, just writing.

JamesL
November 17th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Yes, that's very interesting and something I learnt myself recently...

I realized that one of my faults was that I tried to get things right first time round. I would write a paragraph and then go over it, editing it. I have now realized that this is why it takes me a long time to finish a chapter. More recently I've just been bashing the stuff out, just writing - no editing, organizing, anything. Nothing but writing.

I've found that chapters get done much more quickly and while they are not perfect and some of the material is not good enough, much of it is good.

Holbrook
November 18th, 2004, 08:05 AM
I once wrote 250,000 words in eight months, 95,000 on three months...

At the moment if I write 1000 a week I am doing well. I haven't written any new work, save for collab work for the past six months or more. Been in editing mode since March..... I needed just the one story in my head to do it justice.

Maybe now I will sit down and write something new... don't know yet, veging out to tell you the truth and going away for a few days.

JRMurdock
November 18th, 2004, 05:41 PM
I, personally, don't set limits. The least I've written in a day was 1000 words. The high end is pushing 10K words (I had a day off and wrote all day and well into the night). Mostly I've been working on short stories as of late. I try to finish a short story in one sitting -- not always an easy task. On average I write between 2500-5000 words when I sit down to write. I write 3-4 days a week right now though if I can write more, I do so.

I've found it's best to just write and not worry about word counts. Persistance. Even if you don't feel like writing, but have the time, do so. Even if the result stinks, at least you practiced. Regardless of haw many words you wrote, you did something and that's what counts.