PDA

View Full Version : Switching Sides

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SubZero61992
November 10th, 2004, 05:11 PM
I was thinking of a style where in say Chapter 1 it is the good guys, then in chapter two it is the bad guys, and then continuing the pattern.

IS this a smart thing to do or is there something I need to indicate to show which side, or is it just not smart?

SubZero61992
November 10th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Example is RedWall

Drew
November 10th, 2004, 05:21 PM
I think that alternating chapters would not be a good idea. It would get tedious especially if one side is not as intersting as the other.

However, I think it is nice to see into the enemy a bit. Maybe not every other chapter, but you could have a few chapters in there where you switch POV. It could really add some tension.

SubZero61992
November 10th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Or I suppose a better way would to have a main character be captured and describe their setting and stuff.

Expendable
November 10th, 2004, 07:12 PM
An alternating point of view (or P.O.V.) is often used. You just have to be careful with it so you don't confuse the readers too much. You don't need to alternate every chapter unless you can get it to work.

TheEarCollector
November 11th, 2004, 01:23 AM
If you story is third-person (which your writing seems to be most often) then you don't need to switch-sides and the character never needs to be captured and see it... you can just tell the reader.

JamesL
November 11th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Writing each chapter from a different P.O.V can work really well - just look at George RR Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire series - each chapter from a different character's perspective.

Chlestron
November 12th, 2004, 02:56 PM
There are no problems with telling the story from both sides. IMO, it makes the story stronger giving the villain motivation and history. As others pointed out, you DO have to be careful though especially if one character or group is more interesting than the others (I point as an example to WOT series). The reader will skip through the less interesting character chapters to hte more interesting ones and miss parts of the story.

michaelS0620
December 30th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Sorry to be bringing back an old topic, but it has been some time since I have visited SFF world, and saw this one.

I think that the alternating view point can be quite useful. Alternating every chapter will also make it easier for the reader to follow as they will know when a switch is coming. They will also not have to worry about waiting for 5-6 chapters before getting back to one of the story lines.

That being said, I do think that there are a few caveats to this.

1) Rigidly alternating chapters may not make the most sense, if there is action from one "side" that you wish to follow with, but should be split into mulitple chapters. As a result you may end up writing throw away chapters just to keep the structure.

2) Although spending time writing from the villians' POV could go a long ways towards making them more 2 dimensional, it also can make planning "suprises" more difficult for the writer. Although it could add tension if you see each side plotting their strategy, and you as the reader, know that the good guys are in serious trouble.