PDA

View Full Version : Format Crisis - Sanity's Brink

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Jamza1986
November 13th, 2004, 03:46 AM
This is a short story by me. It's about a young author who is too poor to buy Word, because it comes in a package with Office. He downloads numerous well-meaning free word processors, but regularly has to change them due to their considerable uselessness. The crisis: last night, a formatting issue caused all quotation marks to change into little white rectangles. What should he do, other than combing through 200 000 words and replacing all the marks?

Drakonslair
November 13th, 2004, 07:07 AM
Search and replace is what Im thinking. I dont know how you would go about reverting it. (Ctrl+H) is usually the only thing to do.

And find a better word processor. Id maybe try abi-word. Recognises word documents and has all of the features associated with and its open source. I use it in Linux but its available for windows. http://www.abisource.com/download/

Also the open source(free) OpenOffice is available for windows as well. Full office suite. www.openoffice.org

Expendable
November 13th, 2004, 09:47 AM
AbiWord's very good, its gotten mentioned on TechTV's website.

I think what happened is you changed fonts or something and its not converted right, which is why all your quotes have become empty boxes.

What are you using?

Drew
November 13th, 2004, 11:44 AM
I highly reccomend OpenOffice....

However, considering that you already have 200K words down, you don't want to start over.

I would try opening the file in OO and seeing if your odd marks still appear. If they do, you should be able to do the Find and Replace function. However, as to what you would enter for the square placeholders, I dunno.

Drakonslair
November 13th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Just highlight and copy and paste one of the squares into the find field. Should work

Drew
November 13th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Just highlight and copy and paste one of the squares into the find field. Should work

Nice idea! :p

SubZero61992
November 13th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Sounds alittle like me!
Lot of words turned to symbols and I had to delete the whole thing.

SubZero61992
November 13th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Is WordPad something that has a high risk of this?

Jamza1986
November 14th, 2004, 02:50 AM
Nah, it was because I saved in that open office. My theory is that I saved it in Word 97 format and that speech marks and apostropes are graphically different from the Word 2002 document that the book started out in. I would do find and replace, but of course, half need to be apostrophes. Thanks for adivce. I've gone thru nearly a quarter now changing it all. Just creates work, which is irritating.