SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

icecool
November 13th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Hi

Can anybody help? I have finished writing the first part (book 1) of my Trilogy (my aim in any case) only my hero's mission is not completed - my idea is to carry on until the third part (book 3) where it will be - is this acceptable to a literary agent/publisher ?

Many thanks in anticipation of an answer!

Kind regards

Drew
November 13th, 2004, 12:46 PM
This happens more often than not in trilogies or series. In fact, it is almost required as otherwise the book would not be a series but a sequel.

However, you do want to bring some closure to each book. Add a subplot or something that can be completed in each book. If the reader goes through all of that and doesn't have anything completed, they (I would at least) feel cheated.

icecool
November 13th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Hi Drew

Many thanks for your prompt answer/help.

I narrate my hero going through all sorts of adventures (and misadventures)

all taking place in a region then at the end he finally have a mission to go somewhere else (a different palnet) to accomplish his mission bla, bla, bla...

Now, in the last few lines I write that his spaceship reaches this planet, he gets out (then I write 2 or 3 lines, in fact the last lines of book 1 describing the new alien environment and that's it!

Would this be OK?

Kind regards

Drew
November 13th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Hi Drew

Many thanks for your prompt answer/help.

I narrate my hero going through all sorts of adventures (and misadventures)

all taking place in a region then at the end he finally have a mission to go somewhere else (a different palnet) to accomplish his mission bla, bla, bla...

Now, in the last few lines I write that his spaceship reaches this planet, he gets out (then I write 2 or 3 lines, in fact the last lines of book 1 describing the new alien environment and that's it!

Would this be OK?

Kind regards

Ever read any of Stephen King's Dark Tower series?

At the end of each book, he melds it into the beginning of the next book similar to what you are talking about. As long as you throw something intersting in there this will benefit you as it will make the reader interested in teh next book. :D

JamesL
November 13th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Hey icecool :)

There is no problem with your character's quest/mission not being completed by the end of the first book - in fact it would be very strange if it was completed. For example, if your hero completed his quest in the first novel then what is the rest of the trilogy meant to be about?

The main plot (your hero's mission) should probably cover all three books, but as someone mentioned above you ought to have a sub-plot in each book that gets resolved by the end of that particular book.

For example, in Lord of the Rings, the whole side-issue of Saruman is resolved in the Two Towers, but the main problem of Sauron is not resolved until the final book.

icecool
November 14th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Thanks very much guys for your very interesting comments.

I should have added that my hero had finished his "first task/mission" as it were and he is going on his next, hence ending by writing about him going and landing in a planet where his next mission (which incidentally he still doesn't know what it is until it will be revealed to him or find out by himself), therefore, maybe that's a good enough "ending" for the first instalment?

Drew
November 14th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Thanks very much guys for your very interesting comments.

I should have added that my hero had finished his "first task/mission" as it were and he is going on his next, hence ending by writing about him going and landing in a planet where his next mission (which incidentally he still doesn't know what it is until it will be revealed to him or find out by himself), therefore, maybe that's a good enough "ending" for the first instalment?

Are the missions related to one storyline or are they three seperate missions?

icecool
November 14th, 2004, 04:37 PM
VERY GOOD QUESTION !!!

They are separate missions or rather the hero has separate missions although related to one final aim...

SubZero61992
November 14th, 2004, 04:53 PM
I would think it could be published that way, like Lord Of The Rings.

By any case, has it been sent to an editor?
Otherwise, I dont believe their accept it any how.

Drew
November 14th, 2004, 11:07 PM
VERY GOOD QUESTION !!!

They are separate missions or rather the hero has separate missions although related to one final aim...

As long as there is some idea connecting the stories. A trilogy or decology, or any of those grand series words, implies that there is a connection.

So as long as there is something to draw them together, they become hole together. :)