View Full Version : RPG Maker 2000

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Merancapeman
November 13th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Many of you have heard of it for computer. It was translated from a japanese version and is out and about on the internet. What is it? It's a basic creator for RPG games. Don't get me wrong, it's not like the old-style Ultima crap, this is like old-style Final Fantasy or Zelda. It's fun, addicting, and I am currently making a game myself. Why is it so fun? Well, for those of you who like creating stuff, I think it would be awesome. You can add Final Fantasy music in it, or midis you download or make yourself. It's not complicated either. You create maps with chipsets that come with it or you can download some, you have characters that come with it, or you can download (By the way, all these you can make on your own). I was just curious, is there anyone out there who has it? (Or at least wants to ask questions about it?)

Monty Mike
January 4th, 2005, 04:29 PM
I've had it since RPG Advocate translated it and put it up for download, which was a few years ago. In that time I've gained a good understanding of how it operates and how to apply complex variables and the like. I also spent quite a lot of time on sites such as www.blade2k.net where I learned a lot about it and helped others out, as well as download games which users had put up. The only series game I ever attempted to make was Final Fantasy X. As i'm sure you can guess, it was a bit too challenging, especially when it came to creating a 'sphere grid'. My friend attempted a FFVII, but gave up shortly after when he realised that there was a reason no-body else had made it - again, too complex (making a 'materia' system).
Most of the time I would just make little games, testing out things I had learned, etc. Things like applying a day and night system, making a bank where you could withdraw and deposite money, as well as gain interest. Another one was a 'farming game'. And don't get the wrong impression, I'm not at all into farming, but I wanted to try and make a game where you could pick vegetables and then, after a certain time had passed, they would grow back.
I still play it every now and again, and have recently been thinking of how to make an RPG Tactics game.
I don't like RM2k as much as RM2K3, especially because of the battle system, among other reasons. I also have heard that RPG Maker XP wasn't a great success, the only real improvement being that you could make large and small character sprites, and a few other minor upgrades.

Tell me about the game you are currently working on? Also, feel free to send an email to montymike@gmail.com if you think that it's taking too long to communicate via this thread, however, I am on every night.

monty

Merancapeman
January 5th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Alright! Your one of the first people I've met that know AND like RPG Maker 2000. I am working on an RPG that is based off of an idea for a book I'm creating. I use FFVII music as well as a mix of both FFVIII and music I've composed myself. I've created pretty much everything that resides in the Tool sections, including Items (I've created books that help you learn spells), Heros, system settings and Monsters. I could send you what I have so far, because this RPG I have is a project I'm wanting to continue. I'm hoping it becomes one of the biggest RPG's out there (RPG's made from RPG Maker, that is... aheheheh). This kind of thing needs help though, and I've been looking for people to do so. You think you'd be willing to?

Monty Mike
January 5th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Sure I'd help out (whenever I get the time). I'm not familiar with the rpgmaker200 software though, as I use rpgmaker2003. Why don't you download the newer version? Everything about it is genuinly better and you can still use all your current chipsets, charsets, etc. Here's a link (you'll need to become a member first, but then you can use the entire site's resources, and it's free): http://www.kobrasrealm.com/2003res.php

There must be a faster way of communicating than this thread... how about msn messenger, do you have it? If you do, add me: monty_mike@hotmail.com, if not, we'll have to come here to talk, which to be fair isn't that bad providing we're on nightly.

Anyway, think about downloading the newer version, and while you're at it, tell me all about your game. :D

Merancapeman
January 7th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Well, it's about a boy named Durantem (you). There are a lot more details about him, like the fact that he usually has dreams about a girl named Lilita. Their always on a hill, and they're always saying goodbye. He doesn't understand, and he usually just wakes up forgetting about it or not even caring. He has a really close friend called Yeran, and throughout the beginning he has flashbacks of him and his friends. He has neighbors who brought him up as a child (his parents dissapeared) and he looks upon them as family figures. Their names are Ancie and Mish.

When you talk to Ancie, she requests that Mish help you. He tells you that you've got to go to Lacerta city and get tools becuase his tools are rusted, Ancie left somewhere and Mish has got to stay and work on the gardens. Before you get to Lacerta city, you enter Yerans house (Mish warned Durantem about dangerous things being in the forest and asked him to go to Yerans house and look for something to protect himself with) and, after solving a small puzzle, find out that something has happened to Yeran and is in Lacerta city. There is a small cutscene where you see that Yeran is in a basement somewhere being interrogated by two fiends (They are kind of like the Turks in FFVII). When you manage to get to LC, you also find out that there is a large beast attacking it, and you must immediatley get to the Stronghold of the fortress. You also witness an accident (the daughter of the King of Lacerta falls down the steps and there is suspicion that she didn't just "fall") and it begins Durantems involvment in a more bigger matter. You almost get to the stronghold when you find that you are locked out with many other people. Talking to a sword-teacher, you find that most of the people in the Stronghold are VIP's and the rich. You and this master decide to handle matters. Durantem, not wanting too much involvment, strikes out a deal in which as soon as they are done complaining to the King the master will help Durantem finish his day off and get him home (besides, the master had killed a few of the guards with a little help from Durantem and Durantem was, whether he liked it or not, pulled into the issue).

They go farther, but I haven't created much after that. It looks a lot better than what I've decribed because I didn't put in more details, but you get the gist of it. Basically what's happening is that the Age War (you'll learn a whole lot more about it in the story) has been over for about four years, and the basic enemy were beast and monstrousities summoned by a single man. It gets more in-depth, but basically it's been over. There was a special task force called the "League" who were specially trained soldiers. They were great combatants and they were rumored to have used magic as well. There were only twenty of them, and only 13 survived after the war (there were normal soldier in the war as well, but the League were the generals), and the included Yeran. Yeran as well as many others have been assigned to rid the land of the leftovers of the war. It took about two years, but for some reason Yeran has still been gone. This fact, included with another fact that there is a beast attack LC, could only mean that something is rising up again. It's quite cool, as it gets A LOT worse later on. Sort of like a LOTR version of hoplessness.

Monty Mike
January 10th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I like the story ;)

If you send what you've done so far as an attachment to montymike@gmail.com I'll gladly look through it.

I'll help you all I can as often as i get a chance to. Just tell me what you want me to do.

btw, sorry it took song long for me to reply, I was getting raped with school work...

Merancapeman
January 11th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Alright... I hope it's not TOO big. See, it depends on what RTP you installed. If the installer came with FFVII and FFVIII midi's it would work great... but.... If it didn't it'll take a little while for me to include the specific midi's you need. I also have a few extra background files, so there might have to be a change... One other thing, there should be a file called "forest4" and it belongs in the "Backdrop" folder. Can you give me some pointers on how exactly to send it to you?

Monty Mike
January 11th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Jam your computer into a box and send it to the following address:

ok, not really. I suggest compressing your game's directory file into a winzip/winrar file and sending it to my email address - montymike@gmail.com

If you have a problem sending it just let me know, I'll be here regularly from now on so should be able to reply more often...

Monty Mike
January 11th, 2005, 02:26 PM
i just got your email, you can add me to your msn as monty_mike@hotmail.com or i'll add you, either way it will be faster than this ;)

I'll still check this thread though

Return_of_the_V
January 11th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Just came over this thread and i'd say i've got quite a bit of experience in RM2K's, i wouldn't mind helping if at all possible, although i do recommend you use RM2K3 that monty_mike suggested it does improve on RM2K by quite a bit, but if the side battles are sickening you can stick to RM2K, would it be possible for you to post a charset of Durantem, for informative purposes of course.

I'll wait for both of you to okay me --lahdeelah--