PDA

View Full Version : Another call for help

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Big Bubba
November 15th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Sorry for jumping in with a pure selfish plea for help, but you guys seem to know your SF.

There is this book that I read back in the 80'ies that I don't remember the name of or who wrote it. I do however remember the basics of the plot, so I'm going to describe it and maybe someone can tell me what it is.

I believe it's mainly set in Australia, and the main male character goes by the nick CD. He is not the brightest bulb in the hallway, but luckily he knows a clever girl (female lead) who helps him unravel a big conspiracy among the owners of a number of multinational companies (and possibly some other hot shot people). They have realised that the pollution of our poor planet has gone so far that it will soon cause an ecological meltdown which will wipe out humankind. Nothing can be done to stop this so instead they have decided to set up a colony on the moon for themselves and some other people they select. For this purpose they buy old rockets and space equipment from all around the world and assemble it all somewhere out in the boondocks. I also remember that the female lead was offered by one of the baddies to be his companion on the trip to the moon, but I think she turned him down in the end.

So, does anyone have a clue what book I'm talking about?

Soon Lee
November 15th, 2004, 09:00 PM
It's not BEN ELTON's "STARK" is it?

Big Bubba
November 15th, 2004, 09:27 PM
It is!!! Thank you so much, this has been bothering me for a long time! :)

scooter13
November 16th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Ben Elton? As in The Young Ones / Blackadder / Mr. Bean writer?

emohawk
November 16th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Yeah, the same. He's written quite a number of books (and even a couple of musicals).

scooter13
November 16th, 2004, 04:59 PM
I'm gonna have to check those out. :D