PDA

View Full Version : HYPERION the movie ?!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Tantalos
November 17th, 2004, 01:57 PM
There are rumours of plans that Dan Simmons "Hyperion" saga is going to be filmed, but it`s all sub rosa.

I searched the web but found astounding little information about this project (which might be proof that the rumours are true).

The facts so far:

- Dan Simmons has admitted that the movie rights have being taken care off.

- Director: Martin Scorcesse (well isn`t that something)

- The "rising" star: Leonardo di Caprio (well isn`t that nothing).

So i ask you fellow members, what do you know about all this

and

Is it a good idea to entrust the, propably, best SF story of the last decade to celluloid

and if so

Is Scorcesse the appointed person for this responsible task

and

can you picture Leonardo di Caprio as Raoul Endymion.

I`m dying to find out.

Bitter Buffalo
November 18th, 2004, 04:16 AM
I'd be down with it. I think Peter Jackson proved that you can make decent movies out of genre 'classics' and still capture the attention of the masses.

If memory serves, Scorcesse & Di Caprio were rumored to be involved with a lot of different projects before it was annouced that they were working on the forth coming Howard Hughes biopic "Aviator". Hyperion was probably just one of those rumors. The pair have done two back to back films together (Gangs of NY, Aviator) so the chances of them jumping into another one right away are very silm I would imagine.

That said, I would be rather interested in Scorcesse's version of Hyperion. I don't think he has ever made a SF movie. But, I know he is a gigantic fan of Stanley Kubrick and "2001" in particular. One plus to having Scorcesse directing is Money. Nothing is worst that epic SF on a shoe string buget ("Battlefield Earth" anyone?).

Di Caprio, I'm pretty neutral about. I don't hate him but I'm not his biggest fan either. All I'll say is, in the right role he can be quite a good actor.

If I had my choice I'd like to see "Ender's Game" made before Hyperion. But in a prefect world we'd get good versions of both. (And Neuromancer too!)

Tantalos
November 18th, 2004, 02:04 PM
True Buffalo, Scorcese is a great director so i was excited to hear that he would do the project. But it seems rather too good to be true. I believe that Scorcese would honour the story and make a good movie.

As for di Caprio... they said that Sean Connory would play Gandalf in LOT but he didn`t. So Bitter Buffalo you might be right that di Caprio won`t star in Hyperion.
As for his acting talents (Di Caprio`s that is), he is a good actor in his own right, but i simply cannot picture him in hyperion.

FicusFan
November 20th, 2004, 11:55 AM
I haven't heard anything about this so I don't know what the facts are, but if you mean that Simmons was saying he sold an option or film rights on the book - that doesn't mean there will be a movie, even if they are talking director/star. It only means some company has bought the rights to make a movie - not that they will, just that if they want to they can. I think the rights for Ender's Game have been sold and resold for over 10 years and there has been no movie.

Ouroboros
November 20th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Sounds good, but the "pilgrim's progress" style narrative will take some adapting ...

Priestvyrce
November 21st, 2004, 08:18 AM
Don't know about anyone else, but as I read the book, I kept seeing Claudia Black as the detective Brawne Lamia.

Tantalos
November 23rd, 2004, 01:07 PM
Sounds good, but the "pilgrim's progress" style narrative will take some adapting ...

What I heard is that Dan Simmons agreed to adapt the story so that it will include Raoul Endymion from the start (it is said that all the books will be filmed). So you are right about the adapting part...

On the other hand, the tales of the pilgrims could be filmed as in the book. There are movies with multiple storylines that were quite succesfull. The problem is that the indifferent viewer might get confussed so moviemakers try to avoid such constructions.