View Full Version : Trumpets and other Musical Instruments

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

SubZero61992
November 17th, 2004, 06:16 PM
I was wondering if trumpets and things like violens would be to modern for my genre of stories which is Fantasy, fiction, Myth, and adventure.
The only reason I ask is because someone once said a ' pushreel mower ' was too modern.

P.S.: If you feel I should search myself then speak up.

Archren
November 17th, 2004, 06:30 PM
I'm by no means an expert, but stringed instruments are easier to have in fantasy stories than brass instruments, simply because their construction is much easier. Stringed instruments have been around a very long time, as have simple flutes and such, but my feeling is that a trombone is probably too modern.

Anyone else?

Drakonslair
November 17th, 2004, 06:34 PM
True the stringed instruments are easy to add in. Id look up some of the older ones like mandolins for example, or maybe call it a fiddle as its more oldish. However Trumpets are perfectly sound as well dependig on the type. For example there are the trumpets that are used to annouince kings arrivals etc in olden times. These are very simple versions but still.
Plus its fantasy so you can really add what you want

SubZero61992
November 17th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the info, and I suppose you are right DrakenSlair, it is a fantasy.

Drakonslair
November 17th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Here this might help. Its some links to pages with info on medieval instruments
Mainly to do with the music I think but might have some useful info
http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/instr/specific.html

This one is better I think has info about the instruments

http://www.radix.net/~dglenn/defs/inst.html

JamesL
November 17th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Stringed instruments have been around for centuries, no problem with including them at all.

Not so sure about brass instruments, but again - horns have been used in battle for hundreds of years, so it is most likely suitable to include them (although they probably shouldn't be too complex).

But as you said - it's fantasy, so it's up to you. For example, John Marco's novel 'The Jackel of Nar' is set in a quasi-medieval world, yet they have developed flamethrowers. At first this seems odd, but Marco so expertly introduces the weapons and accounts for their existence so well that they fit in flawlessly.

In fantasy you can include almost anything you like, as long as you can make it 'fit' with everything else.

JRMurdock
November 17th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Just remember, before ANY of those were drums. Those are definately the simplest of all instruments. :)

Expendable
November 17th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Don't forget woodwinds such as recorders, bagpipes and flutes.

TheEarCollector
November 20th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Think about the instrument... is it easy to make?

Can they have a bugle? Sure why not it's just a hollow piece of metal bent into a circle. What about a french horn? Probably not seeing as how complex it is...
Stringed instruments have always been around, as have percussion, though depending on the culture you are going to get a very different sound.

Go watch "Stomp" or whatever it's called... if you can make garbage into that instrument then it is feasible for a medieval-esque period ;)

SubZero61992
November 24th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Is there a certain name for them harps that you can hold with two hands and play? They dont touch the ground but you play them like a guitar except the strings go a different way.