View Full Version : Strontium Dog

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Sparhawke
November 20th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Strontium Dog: Long running strip in 2000AD comics (Judge Dredd et al, I don't know if americans, whom I presume form the majority here, get 2000AD over there). In main it follows the adventures of Johnny Alpha; like so many in the far future was mutated from birth by strontium fallout; his eyes emit alpha radiation that allows him to see through solid objects and influence thought patterns. The only career open to muties is bounty hunting, and the strip follows Johnny, and sometimes other "Stontium Dogs", in this endeavour.

I've never been a big 2000AD enthusiast but I picked up a copy recently on impulse and read an episode from the sequence "Traitor to his Kind". Since then I have tracked down a number of collections and am enjoying my little catch up sessions with the man they call Alpha.

Anybody else like it? I enjoy it's down and dirty, grim view of life its distinct spaghetti western mentality, and the dark sense of humour that pervades most 2000 strips (planets with names like Burrito, Morknmndy and Zdwhkswrld; the irreverance of the heavy accents; The childish glee of despots who make reality television out of religious killings).

magze
November 21st, 2004, 04:16 AM
I was a big fan of 2000AD,Strontium Dog started life in a comic called Starlord it was one of the stories that stayed when it emerged with 2000AD.Johnny Alpha was always one of my favourites,although I no longer read 2000AD or the Megazine I still buy the graphic novels.I cant remember when it appeared but Alpha had a run in with Dredd that was excellent story but dont know if it has been released as a graphic novel.

Hobbit
November 21st, 2004, 06:06 PM
Yes, I remember buying both 2000 AD (featuring Eagle, too!) and Starlord, both from Issue 1! (Sure I must have some of the old annuals around somewhere.)

My brother was the big Strontium Dog fan, that and the ABC Warriors - I was more Dan Dare, Dredd and the Stainless Steel Rat stories.

There are some very nice reprints of those old stories being done as graphic novels now. Really must have a look sometime!

Hobbit

magze
November 22nd, 2004, 12:24 PM
Remember Wolfie Smith? the boy with esp
The graphic novels I do buy them but I've not been able to get a hold of the Judge Child.

Hobbit
November 22nd, 2004, 05:31 PM
Remember Wolfie Smith? Oh yes!

*sigh - nostalgia* :)

There was also a character on the BBC called Wolfie Smith in a TV series called Citizen Smith, played by Robert Lindsay - a humourous (well, to some!) sitcom about a revolutionary in London who worshipped Che Guevara but actually did very little - strange coincidence, that. ;)

2000 AD were very good at using present day ideas in their work. Morknmndy is another example, as too the warring factions in Judge Dredd's The Cursed Earth. Did you know the main vehicle in The Cursed Earth was based on a Matchbox toy? (How's that for product placement, in the days before product placement? :) )

Hobbit

kahnovitch
November 23rd, 2004, 04:09 AM
I grew up on 2000AD. Johnny Alpha was a great character and had some cool partners too, like Middenface Mcnulty a mad Scotsman and Wulf Sternhammer a mad Viking who had a dirty great big warhammer he refered to as "der happystick"!
Then there was that kid "Feral" who tended to warp into a sort of Gigeresque alien if you got him angry.

BTW Hobbit, I HAD that matchbox toy! I thinks it's still in an old wicker basket in the shed. :o

magze
November 23rd, 2004, 04:04 PM
Yeah there was some excellent characters in stontium dog.
Although I enjoyed Durham Red I dont think she was that good a replacement for Johnny Alpha

Sparhawke
November 24th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Was there ever a "proper" explanation for the time manipulation devices?

This is just a minor beef I have, after reading the works of Michael Moorcock I'm not sure I'll ever perceive time as a tangible force again.
:rolleyes:

I personally think Johnny would do just as well without his sidekicks. They're good for the occaisional giggle but are horrendously stereotypical, which is ironic given the comic's anti-racism stance.

I've read but one "prog" so far where Mr. Alpha strikes out on his lonesome; "The Town That Died of Shame". Alpha rides in to an old west style settlement a la Clint Eastwood, where muties are being lynched under the direction of the local marshall. Business is duly taken care of. :D

Solaar
December 29th, 2004, 02:09 PM
I grew up on 2000ad and was a massive Strontium Dog fan - I loved everything about the series. ABC Warriors were a close second too.

I bought the Dredd graphic novel - Oz - a couple of months back which was brilliant. Dredd was always a good character but I think Alpha and Joe Pineapples might just shade it.

Hey - anyone remember the cross-dressing Joe?!?!?!?!?!?

Solaar
in a frock

magze
December 30th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Yes, but my pesonnal favourite was Ro- Jaws also liked Future Shocks,Big Dave and Rogue Trooper