PDA

View Full Version : Sending off manuscript tomorrow! :) Just need a bit of help with this letter.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Jamza1986
November 26th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Hi all, as i'm sending my work off tomorrow, I wondered if someone could help me finalise this letter and tell me if its rubbish or i've missed something.

Dear Sir/Madam

I am interested in making a submission to your literary agency. My manuscript, ĎArdenís Callí is of the fantasy genre. I have included a one page synopsis, and a three chapter sample of my manuscript, unbound and double spaced. The full manuscript is about 180 000 words in length.

I am a student of English Language and Literature and enjoy both reading and writing fiction. I particularly enjoy the fantasy genre. My work, including short stories and poetry, has been published in online journals and the recently released anthology Spirit of the Mind by Dogma Publications.

Yours faithfully,

James Watson

Expendable
November 26th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Can you give them a one-paragraph summary of the story? I think you need to add that.

Have you checked their submission guidelines to make sure you've not forgotten anything?

Drew
November 26th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Can't offer you much in the way of this, but I agree that a small summary would be adequete.

Just popping in to say good luck! :cool:

Jamza1986
November 27th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Thanks Drew and Expendable. Start the presses :D

Holbrook
November 27th, 2004, 02:57 AM
I would remove the bit about double-spaced etc.... they would expect that as norm. Not to be told you have done it for them. Also check and re-check the agency's submission guide lines and as the others said a short paragraph about the story....

Jamza1986
November 27th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Is the paragraph needed when I have a synopsis with it anyway?

Holbrook
November 27th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Is the paragraph needed when I have a synopsis with it anyway?

Call it a sweetner, a taste of the story. To catch their interest.

JamesL
November 27th, 2004, 05:58 PM
I am a student of English Language and Literature and enjoy both reading and writing fiction. I particularly enjoy the fantasy genre.

I don't think this line is necessary, it may even make you look amateurish - I would suggest removing it.