View Full Version : Top Ten Games of 2004

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bond
December 3rd, 2004, 10:33 AM
Time magazine had an article listing what the writer thought were the best games of 2004. The writer's picks and his description follow.

"1. THE SIMS 2 – Millions of people fell in love with the customizable suburbanites of The Sims, the best-selling PC game of all time. Veteran designer Will Wright tops this by showing just how adorably complex these creatures can be. Ideal for: Character-focused gamers who like to laugh.

2. ROME: TOTAL WAR - The best real-time strategy game yet made. Ideal for: Battle-loving history buffs.

3. HALF-LIFE 2 – The graphics and physics of how objects move in Half-Life 2’s world are by far the most realistic ever to grace a computer screen. Ideal for: Trigger-happy adventure seekers

4. KATAMARI DAMACY – The most unusual and original game to hit PlayStation2. Ideal for: Young kids, Japanophiles.

5. GRAND THEFT AUTO: SAN ANDREAS – What really draws players back…is just how open-ended it is. Ideal for: 18-and-over hip-hop fans

6. BATTLEFIELD: VIETNAM – Multi-player games—in which participants compete via the Internet—continue to grow in popularity. The most dramatic entrant this year was Battlefield: Vietnam…choose one of a dozen maps and log on to a server with 30 or so like-minded players. The server automatically divides you into Americans and Viet Cong. Ideal for: Military enthusiasts, online gamers

7. HALO 2 – A fast-paced, seamless sci-fi action adventure set in awe-inspiring alien landscapes…Halo 2 just became the best reason to own an Xbox. Ideal for:Sci-fi aficionados, Xbox Live subscribers.

8. BURNOUT 3: TAKEDOWN – Your task here it to speed kamikaze-like into a series of major intersections and create enough dollars’ worth of auto carnage to merit a bronze, silver or gold medal. Never knew crashing your car could be fun? One test drive and you’ll be a believer. Ideal for: Anyone with a need for speed.

9. FABLE – Fable is the best-looking, most addictive fantasy role-playing epic of the year. Ideal for: Players eager to lose themselves in an alternate reality.

10. PIRATES! – Sid Meier’s classic has been given a 21st century makeover. Meier has added lush new 3-D graphics and a host of minigames within the game. Pirates! lets you play exactly the way you want to, turning the entire Caribbean into your own giant sandbox. Ideal for: Scurvy sea dogs and swashbucklers."

Have to say that most of those went under my radar. Rome: Total War and Katamari Damacy in particular are ones that intrigue me. Tried Pirates! and its kind of addictive but I don't know how long that feeling will last.

Dominus
December 3rd, 2004, 02:43 PM
I played the demo of Rome: Total War and enjoyed it immensely, it brings interactivity to all the battles I read about in books, fiction or historical, and it is was just a great feeling. Need to go pick up the real version though. :/

Shehzad
December 3rd, 2004, 06:15 PM
OK- I haven't played any of those. How sad.

Bitter Buffalo
December 3rd, 2004, 06:56 PM
My List:

1. Half-Life 2
2. Halo 2
3. Rome: Total War
4. GTA: San Andreas
5. Far Cry
6. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn Of War
7. Fable
8. World Of Warcraft (MMORPG, so I don't know if this counts)
9. Doom 3
10. Lock-On: Modern Air Combat (I likes me Flt. Sims)

Haven't played KATAMARI DAMACY but it sounds like something I would like. I didn't even know PIRATES! was out yet, I'll have to pick that up, it's Sid Meier afterall. Man, it was a great year for games, especially on the Xbox (mine's in the mail!!).

saintjon
December 3rd, 2004, 08:40 PM
they remade pirates? Holy moly, I was still playing the genesis version in my buddy's basement 2 years ago :O. this just went onto my must-have list!

kater
December 4th, 2004, 04:41 PM
I have to say Fable was decent but not Top 10, Halo 2's ending bumed me out :mad: and Battlefield Vietnam provided almost solely for multiplayer gamers. GTA: SA and HL2 were head and shoulders the standout games for me but its interesting almost the entire list came out in the last few months.

saintjon
December 5th, 2004, 01:24 AM
The big problem for me with this thread is that I'd have a hard time naming 3 games I've played that came out this year let alone 10.

Interestingly enough, on a review of the starter post I'd only want to try 3 of those games, would be 4 but I heard some awefully disappointing things about Fable.

P.S. The 3 would be Pirates!, Rome: Total War and Burnout 3.

Eurytus
December 5th, 2004, 02:15 PM
If it wasn't for the absense of Doom III and the inclusion of Katarmari Damac I would be inclined to think that inclusion into this list is based on hype more than anything.

In particular I am absolutely mystified as to how anyone can think that Fable is worthy of inclusion. Indeed Fable would possibly be amongst my top 10 disappointing games of all time.

I have no arguments with the inclusion of games 1,2,3,5,7 & 8 though.
Haven't played or been exposed to the rest though.

Given the US nature of the publication I am not surprised at its exclusion but I would include Pro Evolution Soccer 4 simply because it is pretty much perfection as a soccer game.

And I personally really liked Thief, although I recognise that it is very much an acquired taste.

Bitter Buffalo
December 5th, 2004, 04:18 PM
The big problem for me with this thread is that I'd have a hard time naming 3 games I've played that came out this year let alone 10.

Well it's hard to play every game cause their spread across three platforms, not to mention the cost involved. My solution is having lots of friends that are gamers so I go over to their places to play on the PS2 or Xbox, and in turn let them come over to play games on my PC. That way we all get to play the best games.

Fable: I really enjoyed this game. It needed to be longer though, I can see how somebody who paid $50 for it would be disappointed.

JamesL
December 7th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Fable was great but at the same time overrated, as is Halo 2. The ending annoyed me too. :mad:

Burnout 3 is excellent, Fifa 2005 is the best Fifa yet and Thief: Deadly Shadows was cool. Mario Kart Double Dash was wicked fun too.

I'm gonna get a new pc in Jan and will get Warhammer: Dawn of War as I hear it's great.