View Full Version : On the effrontery of Wonder Women

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

mul
April 11th, 2002, 09:52 AM
To Penumbra:

My good Sir, is the effrontery one of personal taste regarding the portrayal of super-babes in the entertainment industry, or the concept of the archetypical femme fatale measured against hunter-gatherer machismo?

To expand upon the topic I was prepared to recommend that you spend the coming weekend watching any or all of the brilliant work on the subject by director Andy Sidaris.

Apologies, for those who are unfamiliar with the article to which I am referring, you may find it here:
On the effrontery of Wonder Women (http://www.sffworld.com/authors/r/rieser_william_alan/articles/ontheeffrontery.html)

[This message has been edited by mul (edited April 11, 2002).]

Penumbra
April 11th, 2002, 11:16 AM
I've never been a successful hunter-gatherer so I suppose that classifies me as a scion of personal taste, though I notice you have adroitly bypassed inclusing yourself in either category, hopefully not because of lizards. Pray tell, sir! You haven't taken a stand!!!!

mul
April 11th, 2002, 12:45 PM
The fact that I am familiar with Mr. Sidaris' work should provide some insight. I highly recommend "Picasso Trigger" and "Dallas Connection".

I enjoy a fine quiche but at the same time am often drawn to the human drama of professional wrestling. A bit of a dichotomy perhaps.

Plainly said, I am tremendously attracted to dangerous women. I should note - not mentally dangerous women such as Glenn Close in "Fatal Attraction", but physically dangerous women like Michelle Yeoh.

My wife is a collegiate athlete and personal trainer, I am confident that were I armed with a Louisville Slugger and struck her full in the torso - she would but smile, grab me by the throat and crush my windpipe. For this, she has my unyielding devotion.

Prior to my marriage I was involved with 5 feet 5 inches of doe-eyed, whoop-ass. A wonderful young woman who is a black-belt and owns her own karate studio. She could strike with the speed of a viper (note there are no simian speed connotations)

All of that said there is a distinct difference between an uber-bimbo and femme fatale in terms of entertainment value. Both have their place, and almost never share the same turf on the silver screen. You may make similar contrasts between male genre characters. We could say that both "First Blood" and "Deer Hunter" are movies about struggling Vietnam veterans - but that would be a bit of a stretch. Besides, I would put money on my wife over Rambo any day.

mul
April 11th, 2002, 12:56 PM
I am still horrified that you saw fit to reference
"Any Which Way but Loose" and "Any Which Way you Can"

I eagerly await how you will weave "Pink Cadillac" into the analysis.

Penumbra
April 11th, 2002, 06:43 PM
One can only sit back and wonder about your revelations. Clearly, one man's meat is another's poison, but I never gave thought to actually wedding a physically destructive lass or finding bliss in torture. Still, by being honest and forthcoming, I surely understand your point of view, regardless of how inane it would apply to me. You certainly have the right to be crushed in coital intimacy if that's what turns you on.
However, in defense of my article, it does not criticize the choices of individuals, rather the exploitation of several genres by producers who take advantage of women who are not necessarily the type you favor.