PDA

View Full Version : Science Information

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

TheEarCollector
December 8th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Anyone happen to have any good science based sites that would help me in getting an idea of sandstorms and chemical reactions of substances with water which produce energy?
Thanks

Lifino
December 9th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Off hand I don't know of any sites, though I'd first go to www.refdesk.com and look around in there.

As far as mixing with water and generating energy... I believe that pure sodium will combust when mixed with H2o. Sodium = salt. From what I've heard, Sodium in it's pure form, I believe crystalized, will explode upon contact with water. From the same source (my highschool physics teacher) a small rock of sodium, perhaps the size of an M&M would completely mess up the environment of a lake with an area of a few acres, depending on how the sodium balances out it can quickly alter the water to a point where most life will die...

I suppose if you could control the combination of water to sodium you could have a "reliable" energy source... Then again getting pure sodium is tough...

Go check Refdesk.

Erfael
December 9th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Lithium will also explode when it comes into contact with water. They may not be the only two alkali earth metals that do so, either. But I remember lithium as the main one that makes a bang.

TheEarCollector
December 9th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Looking more for the slow burning...
I know acids will fizzle when water is poured into it, but not the other way around... Can't remember much else heh.

Drakonslair
December 9th, 2004, 11:18 AM
I think that cacium carbonate fizzes when water/lime water is added to it.

Plus i think any acid on metal will do similar

ironchef texmex
December 10th, 2004, 08:43 PM
I don't know any good websites, but any good book on meteorology should give you tips on how sandstorms work.

It's hard to answer the second question without having a good idea of what you're looking for. Water is great conductor of energy, but a lousy source (which is why we still burn gasoline). Water is too stable. The easiest way to get energy out of water is too add something to it, dissolve it in solution, and then extract it (bacteria does this with salts and ferric compounds, among others). Also if you're just looking to get energy out of water any way possible, ocean water has been proposed as a energy source in a type of reactor called an OTEC, where the temperature difference between water on the surface and water at depth is exploited to run a dynamo.

If you just want a chemical reaction, the only obvious ones I can think of that haven't been mentioned are magnesium and phosphorus. Both can oxedize H20. Phosphorus is especially tricky, burning spontaneously at room temperature, in the air or under water.

TheEarCollector
December 11th, 2004, 12:25 AM
As far as the second question goes...
I was looking for something you can put into water that will produce energy (like... pouring water into acid, but it doesn't work the other way around... or magnesium in HCl, but.... no hydrochloric acid, water ;)) I am sure you get the idea...
Just looking for something you stick in water and get a fairly quick and notable reaction.

Archren
December 11th, 2004, 01:30 PM
As other people have said, sodium (in its pure elemental form, not as part of NaCl, salt) will give a great bang when added to water. What is less well known is that the same thing will happen with any element in the far left-hand coumn of the Periodic Table of Elements. The higher the element is on the list, the bigger the bang when it is added to water, because it is easier to strip the outer electron away.

Lithium would hence be the most whiz-bang reaction, but apparently even in small amounts it is so dangerous that even my otherwise suicidal-appearing, mad-scientist chemistry teacher wouldn't try that one.

TheEarCollector
December 11th, 2004, 04:00 PM
I know plenty of big bang stuff ;)
Can anyone think of a slow burning, energy producing type of reaction. I think I need a chemistry teacher but the colleges are shut down or swamped with exams...
Thanks for the input though ;)