PDA

View Full Version : Creativity and Rewards

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Holbrook
December 12th, 2004, 01:25 AM
I wrote this in answer to a thread elsewhere and thought it could spark a dissussion here... :)

Two words creativity and rewards the meaning of which differs from person to person.

Creativity

Most people these days when speaking of creativity think of the performing arts. It is wrong, in my opinion, to think that only people involved with this profession “create”. Everyone expresses creativity in someway or other. From the way they dress to the decoration of their home and the creation of their garden to name a few.

A human being, I believe, is driven to imprint their surroundings, their world with their own personality, this is their creativity. It is showing others, this is what I am, how I think, what I dream, how I wish things to be. It is part and parcel of drive to communicate and express ourselves.

Actors, writers, songwriters and comics etc, reflect the creativity around them, filtering it through their own perception of what is. It is this I see, this I wish to show you. We find it amusing because we see the reflections familiar to us, understand the creative need and desire to share.

Problem is that sometimes the process works better than at other times, the link is made, solid and true and the feedback goes both ways. Another time the effort fails, the connection not made. Faulty or sloppy creativity, no! It did not hit the right note at that time. It might in the future; it might of in the past.

A writer does the same, taking what they see, know, understand and place it down on paper in a series of words. BUT the words are not seen the same way by the reader, they never can be. The reader filters the words through their own thoughts, experiences, desires and understanding. Thus the words are re-created by the reader. The same can be said of a film or TV programme. Each of us “creates” at the moment we read/watch. It is part of being human, a wonderful part.

Rewards

A lot of people believe or think that the expressing of their creativity will bring with it fame and fortune. If you are very lucky it will, but for most of us financial rewards, with all the pros and cons are not on the cards. And if we are sensible we accept this, yet it does not stop human beings from expressing their creativity.

Why?

For some it is to have their ego stroked, to bask in the praise of their peers. All of us like praise, it is natural. Yet, if you create you expose yourself along with your creation and for every one that likes it, the people you “connect” with, there is going to be ten that don’t like it, that the connection is negative.

But it is this very exposure of who and what we are that is the desire to reach out.
All of us that create, all that show others of our kind part of us, must at some point sit down and think about the reasons why and are we prepared to accept the costs of doing so. For each level of creation exposes us more than the level before. Don’t cry and moan when the pain of rejection of your creativity is more than the praise, for in a strange way it is part of the reward and must be taken because it is part of being human.

Erebus
December 12th, 2004, 01:56 AM
Beautifully said, Hol. :)

Dawnstorm
December 12th, 2004, 11:12 AM
The reward for breathing is life.

The reward for creating is the creation.

Obviously, they only work as rewards if they can be enjoyed.

A writer does the same, taking what they see, know, understand and place it down on paper in a series of words. BUT the words are not seen the same way by the reader, they never can be. The reader filters the words through their own thoughts, experiences, desires and understanding. Thus the words are re-created by the reader. The same can be said of a film or TV programme. Each of us “creates” at the moment we read/watch. It is part of being human, a wonderful part.

Exactly. :)

Pluvious
December 12th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Some people live in a world where their ego is "stroked" around the clock. I don't think its too much to ask that mine be stroked for something that I'm truly proud of and that I accomplished through hard work and perserverence. That seems fair.

But the reward for me is mostly the spark of joy that comes with ideas and creation itself. I was going to start a thread on inspiration but I think it applies here.

Creativity for me is the inspiration of an idea that has to be fleshed out (and not just in writing). To make something that you truly feel is an inspiration is just a great thing. This has happened to me a couple of times. When it happens it just feels terribly right. Most often people don't appreciate what I have done because they have no interest in the subject matter or it isn't practical (doesn't make money). Note: I havn't done anything where I've tried to make money yet. Just some projects...large in scope and inspiration but not in monetary reward.

However, I have two projects that truly inspire me. One is a game and the other is my novel series. I do them because I just love creating and living in the worlds. But, if I don't see some kind of monetary or ego reward from them then that would be difficult to take. Sadly...

JRMurdock
December 14th, 2004, 02:25 PM
I agree. Creation is its own reward. There's no feeling like getting to the end of a story and saying 'Dang that was good.' The feeling of getting published is a completely different high all together. For me it's only been short stories, but I've got to start somewhere.

For ego, I hope, doesn't play a part with me. I'm happy to write and to entertain. To hear good words does make me feel good, but I don't continue to write just to have my ego stroke. I also don't write to have my ego stroked. I want to entertain. I want people to read my works and say the same thing I do. "Dang that was good" :). But not for me. For them.

I want people to read my works and get something out of it. Not enlightenment or anything like that, but a spark that makes them think a little differently in perspective. I'm getting lost in my own words here. Argh. I guess what I'm saying is I want to entertain, but have the story remain with people. Not to make them change their lives or to preach to them, but to have them think about the story for a long time to come. Is that ego? Dunno.

ironchef texmex
December 15th, 2004, 12:59 PM
I know I'm probably a little unusual in this regard, but I just can't seem to ascribe any inherent value into my written works. If I knew right now that they would never publish I'd probably erase them to free up the hard drive space.

On the other hand, writing has given me tangible benefits. It has forced me to study the language, and that, in and of itself, has conferred a greater level of understanding. Words really are powerful things. So whether I ever become a "success" or not, at least now I can get all snooty and bemoan the current state of the U.S. educational system (and do it without just saying "dude, it sucks.")

Expendable
December 15th, 2004, 08:28 PM
My best reward is knowing its done, that I've created something.