View Full Version : Music when you write

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Gary Wassner
December 12th, 2004, 02:10 PM
I listen to music all day, every day. It inspires me. When I am writing, which is also every day it seems, I often either listen to or repeat in my mind a tune or phrase from a song that helps me to enter that place from which I want to write - that mood or sensibility, that sadness or poignant moment.
What does it for you?

A short list of the songs that bring me to those places are:

Change, Blind Melon
Everything Comes and Goes, Joni Mitchell
Blue, Joni Mitchell
Lesson in Survival, Joni Mitchell
Cry On Demand, Ryan Adams
Lost in a Moment, Edie Brickell
Off He Goes, Pearl Jam
No Way, Pearl Jam
Change, Ellis Paul
Wish I Never Saw The Sunshine, Beth Orton
Mercedes Benz, Janis Joplin
America, Paul Simon
Self Defense, Paul Westerberg
One Man Guy, Rufus Wainwright
Long Ride Home, Patty Griffin
Which Will, Lucinda Williams
Chelsea Hotel, Leonard Cohen
Famous Blue Raincoat, Leonard Cohen
In the Absence of the Sun, Duncan Sheik
Been On A Train, Laura Nyro
I still Cry, Julie Miller
In the Sun, Joseph Arthur
Heroin, Velvet Underground
Lake Charles, Lucinda Williams
Jackie Brown, John Mellencamp
Streets of London, Sinead O'Connor
Gulf Winds, Joan Baez
Questioningly, Jesse Malin
Jane Says, Jane's Addiction
Enough to be On Your Way, James Taylor
Don't Look Back, Fine Young Cannibals
I Told Him That My Dog Wouldn't Run, Patty Larkin

There are so many more, but this was a start....

Drew
December 12th, 2004, 02:41 PM
The music that I listen to while writing is usually what the labelists call "Emo", short for emotional. This really helps me when I am working on a character to character relationship.

Most of the music I listen to as well, is not clearly defined in subject. I like music that throws around a lot of symbolism or odd sayings as it forces me to expand my mind, try to understand (whether or not I hear what the writer hears), and it often inspires me with just a simple line or two.

My library consists of about 200 songs, so I am not going to list it all here, hehe!

MrBF1V3
December 12th, 2004, 05:37 PM
I listen to all kinds of music, I can't listen to new stuff when I'm writting because its hard to write when I'm singing along. (There are times when I will make an exception.) Now that I can upload music into my computer it makes it all very convenient. Here is a partial list.

Boston--the first album, not the sequels.
Chopin--any of his stuff, it's all good
Def Leppard--Hysteria
Bebo Norman
Enya
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Glenn Miller

I also have the start of a collection of indies, there is some good stuff out there. (There is also some out there stuff too :) )
B5

Thekherham
December 12th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Most of the time I don't listen to any music when I write, but when I do listen to something, it's classical music.

TheEarCollector
December 13th, 2004, 12:16 AM
I like the "Moonlight Sonata" by Beethoven...
Seems distant from "F- Authority" by Pennywise, which has become my personal anthem ;)

Other than that, I use genres for moods.
Techno is good for thinking out action for some reason...

And country music has some interesting themes.

I don't listen to country.

Really... Ok well the guy I shared my quarters with listened to it all the time, and I didn't have a radio, so it was forced on me. They really do have some zany stories built into the music though.

JRMurdock
December 13th, 2004, 07:28 PM
I listen to music when I write to block out all external bothers (usually I wear headphones).

For WHAT I listen to, that's as different as what I'm writing. I listen to fast music for battle scenes, slow music for intense dialogue, mid paced music for travelling music. Sometimes I'll listen to soundtracks so the lyrics don't interfere with what I'm writing, other times I can't even hear the words to what I'm listening to and time drifts by.

I'd give you a list, but it's so eclectic as to be a wash. :)

Merancapeman
December 14th, 2004, 07:37 AM
I suggest this sort of list for fantasy writers. Trust me, it helps.

Enya
Howard Shore - Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Whuda thunkit?)
Labrynth Soundtrack (Just the name tells you everything)
Loreena Mckennit (Medieval music that is best for any occasion in your book)
James Taylor (Calming and light-hearted. Good for writing about elves :D )
John Denver (For calm moments, of course)
John Williams (For adventurous scenes)

I'll have a better list, but this is pretty good. This is what I listen to sometimes when I'm writing my book.

TheGhost
December 14th, 2004, 09:43 AM
One thing I've noticed about my writing process is that music with intelligible words really distracts me. I guess it's the conflict between trying to put your own words into the computer while hearing someone else put words in your head. So my most common writing music comes from what happens to be my favorite group -- very convenient -- and that's the Cocteau Twins. (The Brits here are more likely to know them.) Anyway, Cocteau Twins broke up a few years ago but they had a long career making very distinctive albums that have beautiful music and, more importantly for my purpose, vocals that tend to avoid intelligible words. The lead singer is Liz Fraser, who is the deeper soloist singing the Lament for Gandalf in the film for Fellowship of the Ring. In a couple albums she sings in intelligible English (or, uhhh, Scottish, where "soon" equals "sun"), but in the others she sings in this wonderful private language of her own that I've never bothered to decipher. So it works for me both as entertainment and as a accompaniment to my writing. When working on the computer, I put on my headphones and a CD and I really can go for more than two hours without snapping out of the mood. If anyone's curious about their albums, I recommend the fantastic Victorialand or Treasure, and if you want something a little dark, Garlands is excellent too.

Ghost

SubZero61992
December 14th, 2004, 10:55 AM
I tend to listen to Nobuo Umatsu's music while writing.
His music has that fantasy feeling and it gets me into the mood to write.

Merancapeman
December 14th, 2004, 01:17 PM
FFVII soundtrack does it to me, too.