PDA

View Full Version : Sff World Anthology

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

JRMurdock
December 14th, 2004, 03:03 PM
This may end up being one for the powers that be (Dag and the Mods) but has any thought ever been given to a SFFworld Anthology? Getting the local authors to submit works and sell that books. We have a POD handy who I'm sure would love the press of publishing (and the amount isn't too hefty). We have a lot of local talent.

Thoughts? Ideas? Perhaps 700 words could find a home here, eh Juzz?

juzzza
December 30th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Sounds good, but danger of vanity publishing, who selects and edits?

Richardb
December 30th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Just had to use the 'vanity' publishing term... didn't you! But that is a debate for another time and place... ;)
Someone could be 'selected' as the editor in chief of the project. However, as great as the idea sounds in theory, in practice it is likely doomed to squables between the dozens of contributors who all have different hopes, dreams, ideas, and theories about what this could and should be.
Sadly, it is likely a great idea that will be impossible to implement.

juzzza
December 31st, 2004, 04:11 AM
Yea, I guess I wasn't meaning to get into that debate and certainly didn't mean it as an insult to any POD (which is different sometimes to VP) authors.

What I mean is, the danger is that the only people who buy it are those who contributed... But I guess that is true of any book.

Sammie
December 31st, 2004, 04:49 AM
I think as a fun way to get some 'sff works' together in print, it sounds...well, fun! I don't think it could possibly end up as a 'serious' publishing effort - but if that isn't what people want then who cares!

On another note - I for one would be very reluctant to see sffworld's name attached to anything that wasn't of at least a reasonably high quality. Don't get me wrong, we have lots of writers here who produce very high quality works, but this may not be where they prefer to publish those works, and regardless of that there will still be a large number of people potentially rather put out by any attempts to be selective! Not sure if it's worth the aggro...?

Richardb
December 31st, 2004, 11:11 AM
Yea, I guess I wasn't meaning to get into that debate and certainly didn't mean it as an insult to any POD (which is different sometimes to VP) authors.

What I mean is, the danger is that the only people who buy it are those who contributed... But I guess that is true of any book.

Come on now, they aren't the only ones to buy the books... typically they sell at least to:
Their mom
Their best friends (top tier only)
Anybody working for them who wants to impress the boss...

Heck, that's a half dozen copies per contributor! :rolleyes: