View Full Version : OMG is it true/A Whitewashed Earthsea

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Cymric
July 19th, 2004, 07:47 AM
last night I was wacthing the sci-fi channel and they had commercial for a new mini-seris callled earthsea. please can someone confirm this as truth because I have long awaited LeGuins vision to become a televised event

Shehzad
July 19th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Yes: it definitely is...

http://www.scifi.com/earthsea

Dominus
July 19th, 2004, 11:18 PM
It's been a while since I've read Earthsea (can't even remember if there is more than one), but it'll definitely be interesting to see, I like most all of the miniseries that Sci-Fi does.

Celtic Warrior
July 20th, 2004, 01:43 PM
With Iceman from the X-men movies and Lane from the Smallville series in the main roles.

Shehzad
July 20th, 2004, 07:33 PM
I'll be happy if it's at least as good as Dune.

saintjon
July 20th, 2004, 08:00 PM
I read A Wizard of Earthsea when I was in grade school and I only wish I could remember more about it. Something about the wizard guy unleashing a shadow of himself that went rampant and I remember that the lengths he had to go to to stop it were quite extreme (something like sailing to the edge of the world into shadow? am I right?)

Wow do I ever need to read that book again.

Shehzad
July 20th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Read it again. It's good.

Erfael
July 20th, 2004, 09:51 PM
With Iceman from the X-men movies and Lane from the Smallville series in the main roles.

I don't know these two guys, but isn't it true that neither is non-caucasian....the people of Earthsea are not white....

starry-eyed
November 15th, 2004, 10:46 PM
So it looks like the series will debut in the US next month. I'm still a little troubled by the casting choices made. In a genre known for heavily favoring European mythology and having almost exclusively caucasian main characters, Earthsea the book was something different and innovative. The miniseries,at least in this regard, will not be- which is a shame. Having a non-traditional main actor in this series would have been pretty cool and more in keeping with the author's original premise. I'm still looking forward to watching it, just disappointed by the show's casting decisions...

Erfael
November 16th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Yeah, i was a little put off by the casting choices. But then I had a look around their website a bit and read some of the directors reasons for it, and I guess I'm okay with it now. He says that everything he does is non-race specific. So he doesn't cast a particular race, just who he thinks will be best in the part of the people who auditioned. So we get a white Ged and a black Ogion. It very well could have been an Asiatic Ged and a Native American Ogion for all he cared so long as they were right for the acting. So I guess I forgive the casting choices. I'm looking forward to seeing it on Dec 13.