View Full Version : Who do ya' love?!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Merancapeman
December 16th, 2004, 09:15 AM
As this title suggests, I want to know about what you guys think about your own, written characters. Who is your role-model/favorite/ideal friend in your book? Why do you like them so much? What do they do for you?

Drew
December 16th, 2004, 10:33 PM
I am still considering some characters... what about you?

You can't post the thread and not contribute! Hehe! :p

juzzza
December 17th, 2004, 07:39 AM
All of them in some way.

If I am writing evil characters, it is so much fun casting aside social and ethical shackles through their deeds and thoughts, of course I would never condone their actions, but it's hard not to chuckle sometimes :eek:

When writing tender moments, or acts born of great courage or sacrifice, they are exaggerated aspects of my good nature or ideals I would like to aspire to... Or ashamedly wish I could live up to.

That's the great thing about writing and creating characters, we can fragment our own characters and mould those good or bad traits into multi-personalities. I think a writer's feelings towards a character may be slightly different to that of a reader. For example, if you create a monster, you have done well if the reader hates them, but I think the creator will look fondly upon or at least enjoy the evil guy no matter what they have them do. It's like the actors who relish playing the bad guy, so much fun and it's nice to tap-in to your dark side once in a while.

I can only imagine the emotive connections, authors with long-running series, have with their characters. Like James Barclay for example, with his Raven, it must break his heart to kill them off.

Merancapeman
December 17th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Well, one of my characters in my book is named Rhona. See, she is introduced much later, but she is still a crucial person to Durantem and his posse', if you will. As you will get in most books, she has a thing with Durantem (his name ends up being changed to Dante), but not mooshy and soap-opera-ish. She has red hair, and (it sounds lame, but don't worry. It isn't) she is a captured princess. She has a sort of an attitude problem at first, but she ends up being a leader and comabt advisor. I know, sounds odd, but her role in the book is important. Another girl of the party has a fling with Durantem too, so it gets kind of interesting!

She reminds me of so many fantasy versions of people. In fact, she is a kind of relief to me. Unfortunantly, she can be quite a thorn to Dante and his comrads. She makes the story interesting and fun by adding her to the VIP list in the book, as she presents a challenge to all the other characters as being a princess and queen-to-be. She could either help them a lot, or get them deep into trouble. If I didn't have all this stuff planned out, including Rhona, my career in writing would come to a left-turn or a complete stop. I give up easily, but I'm still beating myself up to write. It's people like Rhona that keep me writing, you know? It's not just the readers that want to know what happens next. That same attitude is what keeps me writing. I see writing as telling a story to myself as well (though thats not why I write altogether).

TheEarCollector
December 17th, 2004, 10:50 PM
I am going to have to go with Juzzza in saying that some of my character's are what I want to be... not necessarily live up to. My characters that in some way reflect myself tend to be more willing to break laws... (and face the consequences).

I don't know if I can outright say I love them all though, because there are a few characters which I genuinely hate. They are just horrible people, and the world would be a better place without them, but like life they are there... I guess I have to love them in some twisted way to create them and interact with them, but I still hate them and wish they would die!

Jamza1986
December 18th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I agree. My characters are definitely expansions of different parts of my personality. Also, I fully concur that is strange writing the evil pov, because u have to sort of justify it to yourself, as if that 's the sort of thing you'd do. Worrying how easy it is sometimes! I'm probably not making much sense here, but I've long ceased to care....

choppy
December 18th, 2004, 02:50 PM
I suppose there is an element of myself in all of my characters. However, lately I find that many of them are more reflections of what I see in other people.

I think there's a big difference too between loving a character and loving that character's traits. I write a lot of evil characters too. And by no means would I ever want to associate myself with a murder, or a drunk, or a wife-abuser, etc. But I find when I like an evil character, it's because that character gives me the means to accomplish what needs to be accomplished in the story.

I recently saw an interview with the WWE's Triple H where he made the statement that you need to have guys that are good at being bad because people will pay to come and "see them get their (rhymes with class) kicked."

I start to really like my evil characters when I know that the reader will hate them (or at least hate aspects of them).

There is one character that I have that I tend to think of as an alter-ego. He's the wise-cracking, smart(also rhymes with glass), Italian ninja. He tends to solve his problems in a more immdeiate, poetic manner than I would in real life.

MrBF1V3
December 23rd, 2004, 01:40 AM
Merancapeman--I guess no one really answered your question, did they? I think it's part an interesting sideline, (why are your characters who they are, and what it says about you). And part because we tend to be very protective of our work, we don't want to share because deep down we are afraid of being plagiarized. :eek: --Not by you personally of course, but other people read these threads.

However, since I have no illusions of ever being published, mostly because I don't send anything I write to publishers. I would be glad to share.

One of my favorite characters is called Sharpe, Sharpe Mallory. He is a troubleshooter, or generalist (depending on which version I'm looking at). Which means, he's been trained to go into a company and take on just about any job there is, even one which hasn't been invented yet. He is very intelligent, and is used to divergent thinking. He already knows the three ways to get the height of a building using a barometer, and would come up with four more ways, and then tell you which would be the most convenient method to use, and how much it would cost.

(Aside: The three ways to use a barometer to find out the height of a building--1. Measure the barometric pressure at the bottom floor and at the top of the building, plug in the proper formula, and figure out the answer. 2. Drop the barometer from the top of the building, time its decent, plug in the proper formula and figure out the answer. 3. Make an appointment with the owner of the building, tell him "I'll give you this great barometer if you tell me how tall your building is." . . .)

Sharpe lives in a time when many people are genetically enhanced. They are designed to be smarter, stronger and better looking, and are most often born as twins (supersized, so to speak). Since he is not designed, no one expects him to be smart (although his mom must have had some clue to give him that name). He is often somewhat abrasive, but comes up with innovative and intelligent solutions. He is the guy who lets everyone else try to open the jar, taps it with a knife handle and opens it easily. Needless to say, these stories make me do a lot of research.

I'm not sure exactly what that says about me. :rolleyes:
B5

ShellyS
December 25th, 2004, 01:47 PM
My fav characters tend to be ones I've loosely modeled on fav TV characters, an extension from the 15 years I wrote fan fic, I guess. ;) But I have made them my own and most of my protagonists now stem from a basic paradigm I created for an interactive SF writing group years ago (and I based him on Mickey Kostmayer from "The Equalizer" cuz I loved that character's attitude).

But my fav character is one I created in 1985, when he was 12, for an ongoing series of spy stories I write with some friends and print upt for other friends to read. "Paul" is 29 nine and I've been writing him fairly steadily since 1988 and feel as if I've raised him. It's been loads of fun developing him over the years, writing him growing up, dealing with trauma and adversity and becoming a man I'd like to know in real life.

Does that answer the question? heh. I've grown quite fond of Grisha, the protagonist in my WIR, too. :)

SubZero61992
December 30th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Not going to say much, but a character named Mathias that I haven't told you about is going to be one of my favorite characters.

He is going to be the only black man in my party and he too is a legendary warrior.